Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Doing what she does best

You'd be hard pressed to find a more quotable player than Tamika Williams was during his four years at UConn. So it should hardly come as a surprise that the newly-hired assistant coach at Kansas was quoted prominently at the Jayhawks media day.

Here's what the now Tamika (Williams) Raymond had to say courtesy of the KU official site (although I am not sure UConn/Big East fans will like her comment about the Big 12 being the premier conference in the country):

On her transition to Kansas:
“It has been pretty easy. The kids have worked really hard and the coaching staff has been very good to me going above and beyond to make me feel as comfortable as possible. They have helped me familiarize myself with the area and finding a place to live. On the court I am trying to figure what is going on, who is who and the style of play.”

On transitioning from a player to a coach:
“I think that was a lot harder for me when I was younger, but now it is a lot easier. The hard part for me this year is that it a new program, new kids and a new area for me. That is hardest part for me right is just getting to know who everyone is.”

On her WNBA season (with the Connecticut Sun):

“It was great. We were picked to finish second to last in the East and we were able to finish in second. We got upset in the first round of the playoffs, but I love the franchise and got a chance to play with some old players who I played with in college. Overall it was a great year.”

On comparing the WNBA style of play to the Big 12:
“It is probably about the same because most of the players that play in the Big 12 seem to play in the WNBA. I think both are about getting up and down the floor. All the players are very athletic and fast. The Big 12 is the premiere conference in America right now.”

On the Big Ten compared to the Big 12 (Raymond formerly was an assistant at Ohio State):
“It is a little bit slower. The Big Ten is more of a half court game. The Big 12 is a lot more up and down the court. The Big 12 has great coaches. It is not just top heavy all the coaches are very good coaches. Seven or eight teams usually make the NCAA Tournament and it is just a different level of play with great coaches.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home