Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Leading the way

It was no secret that senior guard Renee Montgomery would be the leader of the 2008-09 UConn squad but she will have company when the UConn captains are summoned to meet with the officials before the start of Thursday's exhibition game against Stonehill.

Following Wednesday's practice UConn coach Geno Auriemma said that sophomore forward Maya Moore and senior guard/forward Kalana Greene would join Montgomery as captains this season.

Here are the reactions of the newest captains:
"I'm honored that I have the trust of probably the greatest coach in college basketball history to be a captain of the team," Greene said. "With all due respect, I think I've earned it. I've been here a long time, seen a lot. I contribute a lot. I am honored, I'm excited and I'm ready to take the challenge.
"I can't say i came to Connecticut to be a captain. I'm not caught by surprise by it, but I am really honored to be a captain here."

"I do my best day to day to act like that anyways," Moore said. "Renee is a great person, I feel blessed to be able to work next to her and learn from her one more year. If Coach believes in me, I would do my best to prove him right. It is something I aspire to be and something I feel capable of being. It is a big responsibility and it is one I will do my best at."

Montgomery, Greene, Maya Moore and junior center Tina Charles will start. The fifth starting spot will go to Lorin Dixon, Caroline Doty or Tiffany Hayes.

"We're trying to experiment with a couple of different players," Auriemma said. "We always play with three guards so that is nothing new for us so one of the guards, we are not sure who it is going to be, Lorin, Caroline, Tiffany. We will flip a coin or something."

Speaking of exhibition games, here is a tentative roster for Team SRP which will face UConn on Nov. 12 at the XL Center.

Lsura Aloisi (Holy Cross)
Kindyll Dorsey (Boston College)
Allison Glover-Thorne (Fairfield)
Becky Hogue (Columbia)
Valerie Katsorhis (Delaware)
Maureen Leahy (Boston College)
Sara Oblak (Long Island)
Goska Radwan (Long Island)
Jenel Stevens (Canisus)
Jackie Woods (Loyola Marymount)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home