Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Greene takes the fifth

When Kalana Greene informed her roommate and fellow senior Renee Montgomery that she had decided to apply for a fifth year of eligibility, Montgomery's response was something along the lines of "what, hadn't you already decided that weeks ago?"

Actually, Greene had made that decision subconsciously but didn't make it official until this week. After speaking with her parents following Sunday's win over Pittsburgh and sitting down with UConn coach Geno Auriemma on Thursday, Greene went public with her decision to return to UConn for the 2009-10 following Saturday's practice at Gampel Pavilion.

"I love being in college and I love playing basketball in college and I am not ready to leave yet," Greene said. "I don't have to think about it anymore, I still have to play the rest of the season and my goals as still the same. I have a lot to work on this summer. I didn't want to think about it but when it started to become an issue ... I love playing for this university, I love playing for this team."

Since Greene played just eight games in the 2007-08 season before suffered a season-ending knee injury, she was eligible for receive an additional season of eligibility. Greene kept putting off the decision but between her father pressing her on whether he needed to buy a new suit to wear to the Feb. 28 game against Seton Hall, which would have been Greene's final regular-season home game and Auriemma informing Greene that she needed to let him know before the Seton Hall because she "only gets one Senior Night" Greene finally did some soul searching before coming to the decision that her teammates and coaches knew she would ultimately reach.

"I had a feeling she would stay because I know she would have so much more to show and offer here at the University of Connecticut," UConn sophomore forward Maya Moore said. "That gives me a lot of confidence for next year even though we have a lot to do this year."

EMOTIONAL TIMES FOR DOTY
With a story on the emotional price paid by basketball players who suffer multiple ACL tears coming in Sunday's Register, I was able to speak with UConn freshman guard Caroline Doty about the subject after Saturday's practice.

It was clear that Doty has been struggling to keep it all together in the last couple of weeks as the reality of her not being able to play another game this season began to sit in.

"It is completely different," Doty said. "The first time I was sad, disappointed. The second time is what the heck, you seem more mad and think 'this is awful' and the situation (is different). The first time I am home with my family, my mom would stay home from work and my brothers would be around. Up here, now that I have a new family, the coaches have been like my new parents, everybody on the team have been like my sisters and Rosie (Ragle, UConn's trainer) has been there 100 percent. Whenever I need to talk, a bowl of soup or a shoulder to cry on, they are there.

"I will be feeling down one day but feeling great the next two days. As long as I can get the tears out a little bit and know when to get it out, I will be fine. After games, I am so happy that the team has won and I will sit in the locker room and think 'I want to play, I want to do this or that.' Certain days are harder than other days."

INTERESTED SPECTATORS
Among those expected to be in attendance for Sunday's game against Notre Dame at the XL Center are Minisink Valley (N.Y.) junior center Stefanie Dolson and North Babylon (N.Y.) junior guard Bria Hartley.

Dolson committed to UConn on Christmas Day will be checking out her third UConn game of the season.

This will be the first trip to see the Huskies play for Hartley, who has quickly emerged as the top point guard on UConn's recruiting radar. Plans are in the works for Auriemma to check out a North Babylon practice in the next week or two.

UConn, which also has a commitment from Chaminade Julienne junior wing Samarie Walker, offered Laguna Hills (Calif.) junior wing Lauren Engeln a scholarship before she headed home following an unofficial visit to UConn last week but Engeln has not made a college choice yet.

Auriemma did go to see talented New Jersey guard Laurin Mincy last week and Montini Catholic of Lombard, Ill. forward Michala Johnson is expected to visit UConn on Mar. 16-17. UConn does still have an interest in Arundel High of Gambrills, Md. forward Sheronne Vails but it is uncertain when or if she will visit UConn. Vails was at UConn's game against Georgetown on Jan. 31.

It doesn't appear as if Norwich Free Academy guard Kastine Evans is as high on UConn's recruiting radar as she was a month or two ago.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home