Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Thursday, April 09, 2009

Big Day for Renee

Renee Montgomery shouldn't have to wait long to find out her new basketball home once the WNBA draft starts around 3 p.m. today.

Rumors are picking up steam that Atlanta is considering selecting the UConn senior guard with the No. 1 overall pick instead of Louisville's Angel McCoughtry. If Montgomery doesn't go No. 1, it's unlikely she will go second to Washington since the Mystics traded for a point guard - former No. 1 overall pick Lindsey Harding and also picked up Matee Ajavon in the dispersal draft.

I'm more the rest of the Eastern Conference is hoping Montgomery doesn't go third overall to Chicago. Could you imagine if the Sky adds Montgomery to a young roster including Sylvia Fowles and Candice Dupree?

My story on Montgomery didn't make it online so here it is:

By Jim Fuller
Register Staff
ST. LOUIS - Renee Montgomery admits that she needs a little bit of a WNBA refresher course.
With her undivided attention on leading UConn to an undefeated season and national championship, the senior guard hasn't had much time to contemplate where she will be drafted at today's WNBA draft.
The feeling is Montgomery could go in the top three and more than one WNBA insider believes she should be first overall to the Atlanta Dream.
Montgomery admits she would struggle to name players on Atlanta, Washington and Chicago - who have the first three picks but certainly would enjoy landing in any of those three cities.
"The top three picks are places where people like to live," Montgomery said. "I have heard a lot of people throughout life saying 'I would like to make a home there.'
"I know whoever picks me, I am going to get the roster and learn everybody's name before I get there because I don't want them to think I am a dummy so I don't really know anything about any of the teams except for the teams that UConn players are on, of course. I do know that but I am going to know when it is time to know."
Montgomery will be the 10th UConn player to be taken in the draft, which will begin at 3 p.m. at the NBA Entertainment Studios in Secaucus, N.J.
If she goes first overall, she will be the third Husky to top the draft since 2002. Sue Bird was the top pick in the 2002 draft and Diana Taurasi went first in the 2004 draft.
Montgomery, who considers Bird to be one of her closest friends, believes the four years she spent at UConn will benefit her when she embarks on her pro career.
"What you learn at UConn are basketball things, things you should know, fundamentals, how you should think when you are playing the game and there is a lot of alumni who is going to help me when I do need help in the league, as well as the coaching staff here," Montgomery said. "I am really not worried about moving to another level because I know there are so many people that are willing to help me."
The Connecticut Sun have the 10th pick of the first round.
Jim Fuller can be reached at jfuller@nhregister.com.


If the Sun could somehow get Montgomery, there is no question they would take her without hesitation but it is more likely the Sun will go big in the draft. Likely options include Duke's Chante Black, Rutgers' Kia Vaughn, Ashley Walker of Cal, Lyndra Littles of Virginia, Ashley Paris of Oklahoma and Lindsay Wisdom-Hylton of Purdue. I wouldn't be surprised if the Sun with big with their picks both at 10 and 17 although if nothing else, when it comes to Mike Thibault's draft-day dealings, I have come to expect the unexpected. My gut tells me that if Kia Vaughn is available (and that's a big if), the Sun would gladly take her. Of the preceding list, Walker seems to be the long shot since I don't think she would slip to the No. 10 pick.

Speaking of the Sun, we should know more about the decisions of Tamika Raymond and Jamie Carey. With the WNBA regular season extending into mid-September and the playoffs stretching into October, it is very difficult for players who double as coaches like Raymond (an assistant coach at Kansas) and Carey (a high school coach in Colorado) to be absent from their coaching gigs. Raymond would also miss the July recruiting period even though the Sun have told the former UConn star that would be willing to give her time off during that period to hit the recruiting trail.

I will say this, I don't know where exactly the WNBA is headed. First, the league talks about expansion in one breath and in another, they cut the maximum rosters from 13 to 11 players and then slice the number of paid assistants from two to one. If they are going to cut costs, OK fine do it but spare us the expansion talk.

1 Comments:

Blogger TJ said...

Hey Jim,

Just so you don't hear it from everyone. Renee will be the 20th UConn player taken in the draft, but the 10th in the First Round.

10:30 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home