Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Thursday, April 02, 2009

Destination: St. Louis

If all goes according to plan, I should be at my hotel in St. Louis by this time tomorrow. Where did all the time go? It just seems like last week that I was on the phone with Alexis Hornbuckle as part of my preseason feature on Renee Montgomery. Now I am making the final arrangements for my trip to the Final Four.

Speaking from experience since this will be the sixth Final Four I am covering in the seven seasons I have been the UConn women's basketball beat writer for the Register, Saturday is always the most hectic day of the Final Four for reporters. Not only do you have press conferences for all four teams but it is awards day as well. It appears as if the St. Louis set up isn't as media unfriendly as past Final Fours so getting to the State Farm All-America team announcement, Wade Trophy winner press conference and the get together for the revealing of the Associated Press player and coach of the year awards seems like it will be doable.

In the "it sounds like a good idea at the time" department, I am intending to run in the 4Kay Run which figures to be an emotional event considering that North Carolina State coach Kay Yow lost her gallant fight against cancer in late January. That is what spurred me on at attempt to do this. The biggest concern for me isn't how I plan to bring my computer, a change of clothes and find a place to shower and change between running in the 8 a.m. race and being at the press conference announcing the State Farm All-America team (which is the criteria for UConn stars getting their numbers displayed in the "Huskies of Honor" program) and Wade Trophy winner at 9:45 a.m. No, it is the fact that I have run exactly two times in the last year for a grand total of about four miles. It should be interesting. I tried to get my fellow UConn women's beat writers to run with me with no success. It seems the only time they prefer to run, it involves chocolate chip cookies or pizza in the media hospitality area.

I would encourage anybody in St. Louis Saturday morning to give serious consideration to taking part in the race. The entry fee is $25 and the course is just 2.5 miles. People can walk the course if they aren't ambitious enough to run it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home