Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Friday, May 15, 2009

Class personified

In the last two years there's probably not a question I am asked more or a request made with more regularity from people I meet than "tell me about Maya Moore?" My response should be "how much time do you have?"

For all of Moore's skills on the basketball court and there certainly are a significant number of those, it is the almost regal-like way Moore carries herself off the court that has always struck me.

Samarie Walker, Moore's future UConn teammate, was asked to list the "most impressive person I've ever met" in a questionaire used to put together the trial media guide. Walker's answer was "(Maya) Moore who is the nicest person ever."

Those who know Moore should not be surprised that she was chosen among the UConn players to write her thoughts on the recent trip to the White House to meet the President.

This is what she wrote:
"Wow what an experience! I am still in shock that my teammates and I were able to be in the same atmosphere as some of the greatest leaders in history. As we were taking a tour of the rooms of the White House, like the famous Red Room, I felt a deeper appreciation for the founders of this nation. We truly do live in an amazing country and actually walking where some of our great leaders have walked gave me chills! Meeting President Obama was as enjoyable as advertised, and he left an inspiring impression on us all. The way he took the time to shake hands, take pictures, and talk to everyone showed his humility and genuine personality. The way he sacrificed some extra time out of his day to shoot a few shots with us made me remember what life is all about. It is about investing in people and having faith that the love you impart on them will somehow make the world better than it was. Thank you to President Obama and everyone who made this event possible!"

Last night I asked Moore about writing that note.

"I felt honored that they picked me to write that," Moore said. "I really thought about it and tried to represent the best I could, I am proud of it and hopefully it represented the team well."

So the people who want to know what Maya Moore is like, I think you have you answer.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home