Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Time to catch up

Having this week off, I haven't exactly been in a blogging state of mind. I think I have been too busy pondering the impending farewell of my trusty old couch which will leave on the back of the (shameless plug alert) Pilgrim Furniture truck in the morning. I'm not saying my couch is old, but it's very likely Geno Auriemma was still an assistant at Virginia when it first made its way to my former apartment.

Since I assume you don't read this blog for couch updates (for those who do, you can't say I don't offer a bit of versatility), I will get down to the matter at hand.

UConn teammates Tina Charles (18 points, six rebounds in 15 minutes) and Tiffany Hayes (15 points, five steals in 22 minutes) as the U.S. opened play in the World University Games with an 115-30 win (sounds like a score of a few UConn games). Maya Moore did not play because of soreness in her knee. I haven't heard any further updates on Maya but I wouldn't try to panic about that. USA Basketball does everything first-class and the medical personnel on the trip with the team are among the best in the business. They will not do anything to jeapordize Maya's health. I would expect more on the subject in the coming days. The U.S. plays Great Britain on Thursday with the winner taking over sole possession of first place in Group A.

Now here's a little update on a former teammate of Moore, Charles and Hayes. Renee Montgomery is holding her first Renee Montgomery Basketball Camp in South Charleston, W. Va. on July 25 (that happens to be the same day as the WNBA All-Star game so I guess she didn't think she would be selected to play when she started planning the event). Among those scheduled to be on hand are her former UConn teammates Kaili McLaren and Kalana Greene.

Speaking of ex-Huskies, four of them are in action tonight as Seattle (featuring Sue Bird and Swin Cash) meet Diana Taurasi, Ketia Swanier and the rest of the Phoenix Mercury. The game is nearing the end of the first quarter. Cash has seven points and Bird five as Seattle leads 21-19. Swanier has two points and Taurasi one for Phoenix.

Last but certainly not least, congratulations to former UConn star Jennifer Rizzotti for being elected to the Jackie Robinson Professional Wing of the Fairfield County Sports Hall of Fame. She will be inducted in a ceremony on Oct. 19 at the Hyatt Regency in Greenwich.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home