Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Friday, November 06, 2009

Changing times?

Never underestimate the importance of an owner committed to women's sports.

Although it is just opinion on my part, I truly believe that the three-time WNBA champion Detroit Shock would still be playing games in the state Michigan if owner Bill Davidson had not passed away in March.

Closer to home, the Stratford Brakettes future has been one big question mark since the death of David Carpenter who stepped in when the amateur softball powerhouse was left without a sponsor and seemed on the verge of folding.

Now with the murder of Spartak Moscow Region owner Shabtai von Kalmanovic, one has to wonder if the days of the WNBA's best and brightest stars heading overseas to earn lucrative salaries could come to an end.

Former UConn stars Diana Taurasi and Sue Bird have made more than a pretty penny in helping Spartak to three straight EuroLeague titles.

Earlier this week I asked UConn coach Geno Auriemma of his reaction to the murder.

"I was shocked as anybody else but probably not as much as the players whose lives and livlihood in so many ways depends on that," Auriemma said. "I hope it (doesn't change things), I am sure it will. It is going to have a huge impact on the whole international basketball scene, he's the one who really pushed those salaries to the level they are at I don't know what it going to come of that and I am sure the players are worried, they are anxious about their futures."

While Bird is not with the team yet, Taurasi is and scored 27 points in the season opener. I asked Auriemma how fortunate it was that none of the players were with him when the assailants opened fire on the vehicle von Kalmanovic was in.

"I am sure they had plenty of opportunities to do what they did, I don't know they wanted to get anybody else involved. He was a generous guy and he did do a lot for those kids, I just can't imagine that happening in this country. That was shocking for me."

In other news, I heard back from Minisink Valley coach Judy Mottola earlier today who said that Stefanie Dolson will sign her letter of intent at 11:30 a.m. on Wednesday in the school library. I also received a call back from Bria Hartley's dad saying details are still being worked out but Bria will likely sign her letter in a press conference setting at North Babylon High School.

Finally, to answer the question somebody posted on an earlier blog entry about whether anybody will redshirt next season, here are my thoughts. I am more focused on the upcoming season which is still more than a week away from starting. Personally, I don't see that having seven guards would lead the coaches to intentionally sit a player out. One of them will likely take over for Kalana Greene which means that Tiffany Hayes, Caroline Doty, Lorin Dixon, Kelly Faris, Hartley, Lauren Engeln and Samarie Walker could all see time with all but Dixon options to play small forward as well. Of the concerns for the 2010-11 season, I would think an overabundance of guards would pale in comparison with some serious issues in the post. The only returning post player is Heather Buck who still has a lot of work to do to work her way into the regular rotation. It's just my opinion, but I don't feel as if any of the UConn commitments are what I would consider to be developmental players. What I mean by that is I think all five will come ready to play. UConn had the luxury of using a non-medical redshirt season when Jessica Moore was a freshman, she had Swin Cash, Asjha Jones, Tamika Williams, Kelly Schumacher (all future first-round WNBA picks) ahead of her. That will not be the case even if UConn gets a commitment from Chiney Ogwumike.

As to the predictable follow-up question, I do not have any updates on Ogwumike. I have reached out to all the appropriate parties (high school coaches, AAU coaches, etc.) and haven't heard back. I won't be surprised if she waits until early signing week to make her decision and do not buy into the theory that the delay helps UConn and hurts Stanford. People sometimes read too much into the tea leaves. When she is ready to commit, she will commit. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I believe it's better to get it done right rather than get it done first and I think Chiney is wise to take her time and go through the process the way it is meant to be done.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, serious problems in the post coming up, particularly as highly touted Dolson doesn't appear to be a powerful presence at the low post. On the other hand, there are some serious post players now, like Britney Griner and Kelsey Bone. Who will stop them?

Once again, UConn will have to go "small". But at least we should be able to enjoy this season, with Kelly, returning Doty, and a probably fast-improving Buck making up for Renee's departure. Heather can't be that much of a development player, grabbing four rebounds in just eight minutes!

5:33 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home