Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Thursday, December 24, 2009

KJ Welcomed Back

Kennitra Johnson's first reaction was shock as she received an invitation to return to UConn for a ceremony inducting the 1999-2000 UConn women's basketball team into the Huskies of Honor.

Johnson was the only freshman on the team which would only lose once and win the Huskies' second national title. She averaged 7.2 points, 2.5 assists and 2 steals a game but she opted to transfer at the end of her sophomore season and figured she would never set foot in Connecticut again.

It warmed her heart when she found out she was being welcomed back and was at the XL Center for the UConn/Stanford game and took part in the halftime ceremony honoring the 1999-2000 squad.

"I felt honored that they invited me," Johnson said before UConn's 80-68 victory. "I didn't know with me leaving and stuff ... But this school and this (program) once you are a part of it, you are always going to be a part of it that is the beauty of it. For them to invite me back, it was awesome. I was a little nervous because it had been like 10 years since I had been back up here so to walk in, to walk into Coach (Geno Auriemma's) house and see all the players I was overwhelmed. It was a good feeling.

"They were one of the best times of my life. I can't really say anything bad about the experience when I was here. Even up until the moment when I decided I had to leave, it was still a struggle because I didn't want to leave. It was just one of those things where I had to figure out what is best for me and my family. I keep up with them, I still watch them. They are still my favorite team. I can't say anything bad about UConn."

Like so many of the members of the 1999-2000 squad, Johnson is still involved in the sport. She is a teacher and assistant coach at her old high school New Albany (Ind.) High.

"It was one of those things were an opportunity came, it was the right fit," Johnson said.

As for playing, Johnson admits she only takes the court sparingly these days.

"I play a little bit but I don't play organized (ball)," Johnson said. "No, I can't say that I do (miss playing). I love the game of basketball and I enjoy watching it but I'm 29 now, I know it doesn't sound old but in basketball years it is pretty old."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home