Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Monday, January 25, 2010

Getting to the point

With starting point guard Caroline Doty being held out of the second half of Monday's practice - which happens to be the portion the media was able to sit in on - because the medical staff thought it was be a good idea to give her surgically-repaired knee a break and Lorin Dixon also playing sparingly when I was out there, it was pretty interesting to see what the UConn coaching staff had up its sleeve.

Kelly Faris looked really comfortable at the point, more at ease with the ball than at any other time I have seen her play or practice this season. Kalana Greene also spent some time with the ball in her hands at the top of the key. Tiffany Hayes was the last of the trio to run the offense during the final drill of the day leading me to believe that the staff believes Hayes is better served playing on the wing.

I spoke to Tiffany after practice about a few topics including the reunion with her former AAU teammates April Sykes, Chelsey Lee and Erica Wheeler, who all play for Rutgers as well as the peaks and valleys she has endured shooting the ball as a sophomore. In the last eight games she has scored in double figures three tiimes but scored two of fewer points four times.

"It has been more up and down than I would like but I continue to work on that, work on my shot daily," Hayes said. "I was hitting them today in practice so hopefully that rubs off and I am able to hit them in the game."

Hayes said she has noticed a big difference in the way opposing teams play her this season after her impressive performance in the 2009 NCAA tournament.

"I hear teams all the time when we play them this year say 'shooter, shooter.' Last year I did not hear that once until maybe the (NCAA) tournament," Hayes said. "In the past, I would hear 'you've got No. 3.' This year I hear more of 'shooter, shooter.' I am glad I am getting a lot more respect this year, I just have to step up and knock down the shots."

Just an update that the Feb. 13 St. John's game at Gampel Pavilion, which I reported a while back could very well be a sellout, has not yet sold out. Before that game, Tina Charles will be inducted into the Huskies of Honor. Just a reminder to those interested in such things that the "Senior Night" festivities will be held at the XL Center for the second straight season. Kalana Greene, Charles, Meghan Gardler, Kaili McLaren and Jacquie Fernandes will be honored before the Feb. 27 game against Georgetown.

Not certain if any recruits will be on hand tomorrow night but I feel pretty confident in reporting that Betnijah Laney out of Smyrna (Del.) High will not be in attendance. The 6-foot Laney who is being heavily - and I do mean heavily - recruited by both Rutgers and UConn and her Smyrna team has a home game against Polytech HS.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home