Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Friday, April 02, 2010

Greetings from San Antonio

I'm closing in on the 24-hour mark of my time in San Antonio and I am beginning to remember how much I loved this place when I was here for the 2002 Final Four.

I've probably taken at least four walks along the Riverwalk just to observe the scene and I don't know how you can't have a good time in this city.

I have also been struck by what a small world it is. I didn't realize it until it was too late, but pretty certain that Samarie Walker was on my flight (at least the Chicago to San Antonio). I didn't realize it until I was waiting for my gate-checked duffel bag in the jet bridge in San Antonio when she quietly said "take care" to me as she walked by.

I held one of the doors to my hotel open for two men yesterday and it wasn't until they walked by me that I realized one of them was Russ Davis, the AAU coach of UConn incoming freshman Lauren Engeln. I was hoping to talk to Russ this week about another one of his players Bonnie Samuelson who has been offered a scholarship by UConn but didn't feel like it was the appropriate time or place to chase after him.

This morning as I headed to breakfast, I ran into Beth Bass, the Chief Executive Officer of the WBCA "loading up on the caffeine" as she put it.

I also asked two women sitting next to me in the lobby this morning if they could watch my computer while I ran upstairs to collect my laundry and one of them bears a striking resemblence to former Oklahoma star Stacey Dales. Not sure if it was her or not, but the two ladies were gracious enough to keep an eye on my stuff.

Then came the kicker. I headed to the media hotel to pick up my credential and was waiting in line to get my picture taken when I noticed my credential was leaning up against the lamination machine. What are the odds that of all the media credentialed at the Final Four, that mine would be the one chosen to be displayed. Naturally, they need to find another reporter's ID to use as an example I guess.

WALKER HONORED
Speaking of Walker, she was named the Division II Player of the Year on the Dayton Daily News All-Area teams

MCDONALD'S PHOTOS AVAILABLE
Thanks to an e-mail from Brittany Gorniewicz, who is rapidly moving up on my list of favorite public relations professionals, I found some photos of UConn recruits
Bria Hartley and Stefanie Dolson
from the McDonald's High School All-American game. More photos and information from the game is available at the game's website

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home