Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Blasts from the past

Upon arriving at Mohegan Sun Arena Friday night, one of the first things I saw was a release announcing that Nykesha Sales will be honored by the Connecticut Sun at the Aug. 15 game against Indiana.

The honor is long overdue and something tells me the process of getting Sales to come into town was not a simple one but I'm glad Nykesha and the Sun have ironed out their differences enough to give Sales her day in the Sun as well as her day at the Sun.

Part two of this entry is a little plug for a story I wrote which is scheduled to run in Sunday's edition of the Register. The focus is on the 30th season of the New Haven Summer League but it just so happened that when I was over at Ralph Walker Rink last week conducting my interviews, former UConn guard Maria Conlon was leading her Plus Two squad to another victory.

After the game was over, I spoke with Conlon, who was a member of the 2002, 2003 and 2004 national championship teams at UConn.

Conlon was joking with the league founder Bill Dixon that she is playing better now than she did in college. When I asked her about that, she said while that it not the case but she is still feeling and playing pretty well.

"I am really good shape right now, I am feeling really good," Conlon said. "I am playing a lot of basketball and it is amazing what you learn when you get older just from watching the sport, coaching and getting older, it affects your game a lot. I feel like I am probably not as good as I was in college but I am right there."

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home