Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Auriemma a grandfather

UConn women's basketball coach Geno Auriemma became a grandfather for the first time at 11:45 p.m. on Tuesday when his daughter Jenna gave birth to a son named Christian James.

Auriemma met with the media during a visit at the Pilot Pen Tennis tournament to promote the partnership between Geno's Cancer Team, which he and his wife started to raise money for cancer research, and the tennis tournament. Naturally much of the interview was focused on the milestone moment in his life.

UConn's Hall of Fame women's basketball coach Geno Auriemma made his first trip to the Pilot Pen Tennis tournament.

"I was at the hospital, doing exactly what I did when my kids were born, I was sleeping in the waiting room," Auriemma said.

"It feels good. I am late in my family. My brother already beat me to it. It started to make me think 'God, I am going to take better care of myself.' I want to be around when he is 20 which means I will be 76. Then I said 'nah, just do what I've been doing and hopefully I'll last.' I think he's been a real source of inspiration and excitement to our family. When it is the first one, it is something special. I guess that is the deal when you have a grandchild, that everybody who is down the pecking order one spot, he moves directly to the top."

Auriemma said he played No. 4 singles and No. 1 doubles when he was attending junior college but he normally spends the month of August in his beach home in New Jersey so he has never made it down for the tournament.


"I am usually not here in August so I don't get a chance to get down here," Auriemma said. "Other than what we do at UConn, the Travelers and this, this is kind of like one of the three things that happen in Connecticut that are really important to a lot of people.

"I have always been a fan. I wish it wasn't the week right before the U.S. Open because you would be able to get some players that probably would want this week (off). As we were saying, if you are a tennis player and if you want to get ready for the U.S. Open, why would you not want to play here. This is perfect. You don't have to travel very far."

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home