Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Friday, September 17, 2010

Geno's take on the schedule

When UConn coach Geno Auriemma stopped in during the Pilot Pen Tennis tournament last month, I asked him a couple questions regarding the schedule since I knew all the teams UConn would be playing in the upcoming season even if I wasn't sure of the where and when part of the equation.

His first response was classic Geno

"I put the schedule thinking Tina (Charles), Kalana (Greene), Caroline (Doty) and Renee (Montgomery) were back. I didn't realize they weren't going to be around. I have tried to call a lot of those schools and ask if they would move up back a year. I like it. I like the schedule. I showed it to our players and they love it. It's the best thing that could happen at this point in time for this group because they are so young and they are going to be thrown right into it. They'll get the losing stuff right out of the way and they won't be burdened by that other stuff."

At the time it appeared as if the trip to California in late December to play Pacific and Stanford could be for wins No. 88 and 89 in a row if the Huskies were undefeated up to that point. Naturally, the UCLA men's basketball program's 88-game winning streak is one of the most famous in all of sports so I asked Geno about his take on that if that happened to be the case. Of course it became a moot point when the Big East opted to have the Huskies play two games in December.

"Games just happened when they could be fit in and had nothing to do with numbers. To be honest, I haven't even thought that through. When I heard Caroline wasn't playing, I thought 'OK, we have Holy cross first.' Let's get past that one and we'll move on from there."

He also addressed the importance of the early tests on the freshmen since Stefanie Dolson, Michala Johnson and Samarie Walker should figure into the game plan when UConn attempts to match up with Baylor's 6-8 sophomore center Brittney Griner.

"I saw the freshmen play enough in high school, been around them enough to know that is why you recruit them, you want them to play. They are not going to be good enough in the beginning but they will be at some point. I would hope that when the NCAA comes around, they aren't going to see anything they haven't seen. That will be one good thing."

USA FALLS TO AUSTRALIA
The U.S. and Australia played again on Friday and the Australian team, still smarting from an embarrassing performance in Hartford earlier this month, answered back with an 83-77 win led by Jenna O'Hea's 24 points.

Former UConn star Tina Charles had 18 points and seven rebounds to lead the U.S. while Lindsay Whalen (13), Diana Taurasi (12) and Tamika Catchings (11) also scored in double figures. Since the U.S. was forced to play no more than 12 players, Maya Moore was among those who sat out the game.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home