Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Michala good to go; Samarie getting close

Much of my focus at Wednesday's media day at UConn was on the Huskies' two ailing freshmen.

Michala Johnson, who suffered two torn ACLs during her high school career, took part in half-court work on Oct. 7 and 8 and since there were no issues, was cleared to go full court for the first time on Tuesday. She is expected to be able to be a full go at the first practice of the season on Saturday.

"I do everything the team does," Johnson said. "The only thing I don't do is play pickup games with them. Last week I played half court. Yesterday was my first time playing full court. I was pretty comfortable and excited. I was very excited because I haven't played in such a long time, getting back into the speed of things, running and playing games it felt pretty good.

"My knees are the last thing on my mind. I'm not letting that get into my head. I am not worried about that, anything I do I am not concerned about that. I am right on time, right on schedule. I am very excited."

Samarie Walker's right knee which she contemplated having surgery on because of an issue with her meniscus is fine but she tweaked her left hamstring twice in the month of September and will not be able to practice on Saturday.

"I've been out pretty much all preseason with a hamstring strain," Walker said. "I've been working back in from that. I know people keep asking from my knees and they are a lot better than they were before."

Walker suffered the hamstring issue shortly after arriving on campus for the fall semester.

"We were working out, I turned the wrong way and I felt it pull," Walker said. "They are working on that. Hopefully another week or so not (before she is back at practice) but too much longer."

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home