Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

"Nervous" freshmen make an impact

Both freshman guard Bria Hartley and freshman forward Samarie Walker admitted that they were nervous before Wednesday's exhibition game against Indiana (Pa.).

They sure didn't play like it.

Hartley, who got the start at point guard ahead of senior Lorin Dixon, had 18 points and seven assists. Walker, who UConn coach Geno Auriemma contemplated starting as well, had 22 points (on 9 of 10 shooting) and 15 rebounds in 18 minutes.

"I think when I first got out there, I was really nervous playing in such a big arena but I think after my first basket or rebound, whatever came first, I calmed down and just played within the team," Walker said.

Hartley calmed down after she drained a 3-pointer just nine seconds in the game and while Auriemma said the move who more of an experimental one to see how players handle different roles, it's hard to believe that Hartley will be coming off the bench again any time soon.

Auriemma said senior Maya Moore, who made all seven of her shots, and finished with 15 points, five rebounds, six assists and four steals had an impressive effort as she displayed some versatility in her game rather than just trying to score every time she touched the ball.

"I thought Maya played her best game I have seen her play in a long time without necessarily having to score a lot of points, making a lot of other things happen at both ends of the floor which is what we are going to need from her some nights," Auriemma said.

Auriemma also busted the chops of freshman Lauren Engeln, who took seven shots in 16 minutes by comparing her to former Detroit Pistons guard Vinnie "The Microwave" Johnson and saying she will set a UConn freshman record for fewest assists. Since Johnson's NBA run with the Pistons teams of the 80s was a little bit before their time, he told them to google "Vinnie The Microwave" since they had not heard of the prolific shooter who averaged more than 12 points per game in seven straight seasons despite starting only about 20 percent of the games during that stretch.

Auriemma admitted that he has seen encouraging signs from his team in the recent days.

"I am actually starting to get excited about this team, first time since I met them," Auriemma said. "This afternoon at practice or yesterday, I forget when it was, but I just started to see some things. I said 'you know what, I think there are a group of guys out here who when I put them out here and they are in the right frame of mind, we have a chance.' Then as soon as you sub you go 'you know what, I hate this team.'"

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous UConn Steve said...

What was the story with Michala Johnson playing so few minutes? Was she being intenionally rested? Or was she in the dog house?

7:14 AM 
Blogger Jim Fuller said...

The story was the same as it was in the first exhibition game. They are not going to rush her back and will gradually work her into the rotation more and more as the season goes on.

10:06 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home