Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Tuck commits to UConn

Morgan Tuck, a 6-foot-2 junior forward at Bolingbrook (Ill.) High, became the first member of the high school Class of 2012 according to her high school coach Tony Smith.

As a sophomore Tuck averaged 18.2 points and 7.5 rebounds. She enters her junior season with 1,032 points and 513 rebounds. She was also a member of the U.S. Under-17 national team which won the gold medal at the FIBA Under-17 World Championships. Among her teammates where UConn signee Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis and Breanna Stewart, one of the juniors at the top of the Huskies' recruiting wish list. Tuck averaged 7.4 and 5 rebounds as the U.S. went 8-0. Both Tuck and Stewart sat behind the UConn bench during Tuesday's 65-64 win over Baylor.

"Her main goal is to go to where she can compete for a national title every year," Smith said. "Morgan likes to win and she like to be pushed. She thinks Coach Geno (Auriemma) will be able to push her.

"UConn is getting a kid do whatever it takes to win. She can play inside and outside. She competes every day and works hard at everything. She is a winner."

When I was down in the Washington, D.C. area in early July, I headed over to the U-17 training camp and Morgan was one of the players I spoke with. Here's what she had to say when I asked her about what she was looking for in a school.

"It is about when I feel a place where I feel like I am at home so when I find that, that's when I will (commit)," Tuck said. "Distance, it is kind of like a give and take. I want to be close to home but I want to see what it's like to live somewhere different. UConn is a great program, they are undefeated two years (in a row) so I don't know who wouldn't want to go there. They are the best team in the country right now."

Bolingbrook opens the season by playing in the Turkey Jamm in Memphis, Tenn. The first game is against Memphis Central on Nov. 26 and then faces Hillsborough on Nov. 27. They will also play in the prestigious Tournament of Championships in Arizona from Dec. 18-22 and then head to Cincinnati for a two-day tournament on Dec. 29-30. Here is the schedule for the Lady Raiders
When I was down in Oakton, Va., I did get a little bit of video of Morgan Tuck. In this video, Tuck makes a sweet pass to Stewart for a back-door layup in between interviews from Stewart and Jordan Adams.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home