Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Remembering where it all began

Sitting next to one of his all-time greatest players Thursday morning, UConn's Geno Auriemma was in a reflective mood.

A couple of days have passed since the Huskies had recorded an NCAA Division I basketball record 89th straight win and his current players had headed home to be with their families for a few days.

So when a PR person from Dunkin' Donuts sprung a seemingly innocuous inquiry about "what is your favorite donut" during the question and answer portion, he had no idea of what was coming next.

The majority of coaches would utter "glazed" "plain" or whatever flavor floated their boat and moved on. Not Geno Auriemma. A few minutes later he wrapped up a story of where all of this began fittingly enough at a local Dunkin' Donuts.

"I remember after the interview process, it was a rainy morning in Storrs, Connecticut in April or May (of 1985)," Auriemma said. "It was probably May and I am in the offices at the old field house and John Toner (UConn's athletic directr at the time) says 'come with me.' We go out back and we get in his car, we drive down 195 down towards Willimantic. I didn’t know where we were, all I knew was campus. So there is a Dunkin’ Donuts on the right-hand side when you are going down Main Street and it is still there.

"He pulls up to this Dunkin’ Donuts. We get out and we go in. We are sitting at the counter. He orders coffee and says ‘do you want a coffee.’ I said ‘I’ll take a coffee.’ Then he orders two donuts, two old-fashioned donuts. I thought that is just like him, that is exactly who we is. He is an old-fashioned guy, he ordered two old-fashioned donuts. We sat there, ate the donuts, drank the coffee. He said ‘do you want to be the coach at Connecticut?’ I said ‘yes, I do.’ That was it, he shook my hand and said ‘welcome aboard.’ We got in the car, drove up to Storrs and the rest is history."

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home