Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Friday, January 28, 2011

Doty being patient

Caroline Doty was back in the spotlight courtesy of a video capturing a variety of trick shots which has been generating a ton of interest on youtube. However, the junior guard would rather be making a crucial 15-foot jumper for the Huskies than perfecting her wide array of "you have to see it to believe it" shots from the stands or various other locations in whatever basketball court she happens to be in.

A torn ACL has forced Doty into the role of reluctant spectator once again. But unlike the situation two seasons ago when Dotty was chomping at the bit to return to the court, she is taking a more patient approach this time.

"It is a whole different view being on the outside looking in because I know what it's like to be on the inside," Doty said. I sit back and read how people react to different situations, just getting excited for the girls too. Being able to still be there with them but not be on the court, still feel 100 percent a part of it (is important). I still feel the excitement and joy of whatever they do, I get excited too. I love being passionate about what's going on. The Notre Dame game, although that was the closest game, I had a fire inside of me and I was ready to go. I love that part of basketball."

Since her latest serious knee injury happened before the season, she has more time to get fully recovered from her surgery. She was given the OK to start running or as she put it "more like jogging. There are no sprints. I can't cut or turn anywhere."

Doty will have a three week before in May before enrollng in summer school. When June rolls along, her goal is to be taking part in conditioning drills with her teammates.

"I am hoping I will be able to do the majority of postseason (workouts) with them and see what I can do," Doty said. "I am going to focus on June, July and August on strict basketball stuff because my August it is going to be a year (since the injury). I should be feeling 100 percent. I am going to train, be in the gym and do what I need to be to be ready for next year.

"I have a better understanding of how to approach it. You can't push it because it is such a fragile thing. I don't want it to happen again. This is going to be the last time for sure. I am going to do everything right this time and make sure. If my knee is swollen or I don't feel ready to do it, I am not going to feel ready to do it. I am not going to push myself but at the same time I am not going to be a wimp and sit out because my knee is a little sore."

Doty, under the watchful eyes of the UConn medical staff, will gradually increase the pace of her runs and her work on the treadmill.

"A big thing would be cutting or pivoting," Doty said. "Going to the baseline, stopping and turning and going the other way. Even before that it will be the sprint. I am 6.4 (incline) on the treadmill so hopefully I will get up to 7.0 which is like a 7 1/2 minute mile. Right now I am at a 9:15 mile so I think the speed is going to come next. Probably another month (before she starts) pivoting and more basketball related so I will be able to come off screens and shoot, just do a lot more lateral stuff."

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home