Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Friday, January 14, 2011

Mosqueda-Lewis happy to be back in New England

Outside the two feet of snow and frigid conditions, UConn commit Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis was thrilled to be back in New England as her Mater Dei High School team was playing in the HoopHall Classic for the second time in the last three years.

Mosqueda-Lewis had 17 points, eight rebounds and two assists in the Santa Ana, Calif. team's 85-45 win over New York's Murry Bergtraum.

"I feel different about being here now that I am going to UConn and going to be there next year," Mosqueda-Lewis said. "I am certainly excited to be able to come
out and play here."

Mosqueda-Lewis, a 6-foot wing, will join guard Brianna Banks and post player Kiah Stokes in the Huskies' incoming freshman class, the first set of Huskies to suit up in the post-Maya Moore era.

"I know it is going to be a big leap for me. I know Coach Auriemma is going to get me ready. I am going to be there for summer school doing workouts and hopefully they are going to get me as ready as possible for my freshman year. Hopefully I tansition well, hopefully I am ready for that."

Auriemma, who was in attendance at the game, was asked about Mosqueda-Lewis after UConn's Friday afternoon practice.

"I like the fact that No. 1, the kid wanted to come here and that to me is huge," Auriemma said. "That says something about her right there. That was the No. 1 thing right there. She is an incredible kid, just her personality, her approach and the way she interacts with other people, it is unusual for kids that age.

"I think in her career, she has proven more than anything else that she is a winner. Her high school team wins all the time, the USA Basketball teams wins, she scores at every level. It doesn't matter what level she plays at, high school, AAU, USA Basketball, that kid just puts points on the board so given all those things, I haven't seen her play yet this year, this will be the first of a couple times I am going to see her. Knowing that Maya is leaving, it probably couldn't come at a
better time, somebody capable of putting that many points on the board. It is uncanny."

Mosqueda-Lewis not only shares Moore's ability to drain 3-pointers (she had three more to give her 53 this season) but also the same uniform number. Mosqueda-Lewis has already asked Moore for permission to wear No. 23 at UConn next season.

"I actually asked Maya for No. 23 and I am still holding on her answer because as of right now, she wants it to be able to rest for a little bit when she leaves," Mosqueda-Lewis said with a laugh. "Hopefully she will let me have it."

Whether she wears No. 23 or not, Mosqueda-Lewis plans on continuing to work on her game before she enrolls at UConn in the summer.

"I have really been working on trying to get to the basket because the last couple of years my shot has been my money maker," Mosqueda-Lewis said. "I have been trying to get quicker, get to the basket, be able to jump higher and working on everything."

Auriemma wasn't the only person to heap praise on Mosqueda-Lewis on Friday,.

Mater Dei coack Kevin Kiernan, who coached the Monarchs to the No. 1 national ranking last season and has four Division I signees on this year's team, said "she is the best player I ever coached, I think she is the best player in the country. Just having her on the floor opens things up for everybody else."

UConn recruiting target Jordan Adams, the highly-touted junior guard who had 17 points, five rebounds, six assists and four steals against Murry Bergtraum, first saw Mosqueda-Lewis play when Adams was in fourth grade.

So what is her best attribute?

"Definitely her 3-point shot, she can create her shot no matter where she is on the floor," Adams said. "You pressure her at the 3 (point line) and she will drive past you. If you get her the ball, she is a scoring machine. It's been an honor to play with her."

Unlike Mosqueda-Lewis, who committed in October of her junior season, Adams is going to be a little more patient.

"Kaleena, she knew where she wanted to go," said Adams, who confirmed that UConn is still among the schools she is considering. "I am not sure where I want to go yet, I feel like when I am ready I will commit. I can't even tell you that there's a list. I am looking everywhere right now and seeing where my best fit is."

Mosqueda-Lewis, Adams and the rest of the Mater Dei team is planning to go to Saturday's UConn/Louisville game at the XL Center.

"Who doesn't want to go see UConn play?" Adams said. "Coach Geno is a great coach and they are a really good team. Just to see Maya Moore, it is going to be fun. I just like the way they play together as a team. They have Maya Moore who is clearly an all-star but everybody else gets their points."

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home