Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

ND coach thinks Maya stands alone

Over the last couple of years I've heard more than my share of opposing coaches rave about the skills and work ethic of Maya Moore but today Notre Dame's Muffet McGraw took it to a new level by calling her "the best player ever in the game."

Now those words would be impressive coming from anybody but the fact that they were uttered by a coach who led Notre Dame to the 2001 national title and whose 2000-01 squad beat perhaps the most talented UConn squad of all time (before injuries sidelined Svetlana Abrosimova and Shea Ralph) and who will be inducted into the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame later this year made her proclamation carry even more weight in my eyes.

Here is what she said about Moore in an interview I had with her earlier today.

"She's, I think, the best player ever in the game and not just at Connecticut but at the game. She is a really special player who can do pretty much everything that she wants because she works so hard at her game. She can obviously score from the 3-point line, she can drive the ball, she can block shots, she can rebound, she can pass. She has a really complete game. When you watch her work, you have so much respect for her and her accomplishments. She is now the Big East leader in scoring is something she deserves. She is amazing. She is one in a million and she has had just a fantastic career."

Having never heard McGraw speak in such reverent tones about Moore, I was naturally curious when Moore ascended into the "best ever" category in her eyes.

"She has been national player of the year but last year I felt Tina Charles had a great year too so I think with Tina playing so well, I don't think Maya was ever overshadowed but if you looked at what Tina Charles brought, she is pretty good too. Maya is in a class by herself this year and she is head and shoulders above anybody else in the country."

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Joe said...

I'd make a distinction between 'most skilled player' ever to play the woman's game and the 'best' player ever....unless UConn wins the NCAA Championship this year, Diana Taurasi has to remain the 'best' player because of the intangibles she brought.

Her situation in her senior years was very similar to Maya's situation this year; all the skilled seniors from the prior year had graduated and UConn was not given much of a chance to repeat, yet somehow Diana willed that team to a title anyway.

If Maya can duplicate that feat, then we can talk about the 'best' player ever. Until then, this talk seems to me at least a bit premature.

10:12 AM 
Blogger Jim Fuller said...

I was not the person making the comments so I have no need to make a distinction. I merely asked Muffet McGraw about Maya Moore's impact on the UConn team when she volunteered the quotes I shared with the readers of my blog.

11:28 AM 
Anonymous Joe said...

I understand, Jim, Ms McGraw offered her perspective, which you reported, and I offered my own, complementary, personal perspective, which is slightly different from hers, that's all.

1:46 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home