Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Adams delivers another first

On Saturday Danielle Adams became the first Texas A&M player to be named a State Farm All-American. On Tuesday, she claimed an even bigger prize - the Most Outstanding Performer in the Final Four as she led the Aggies to the program's first national championship.

Adams had 22 of her 30 points in the second half as A&M rallied for a 76-70 win over Notre Dame.

"It is a dream come true," Adams said. "I never thought I was going to work this hard just to get to this point. My teammates have been there to back me up, the coaching staff gave me a chance and I thank them for that. Now I am All-American, the first in A&M history and we have our first national championship under our belt. It's pretty exciting for me."

The Aggies appeared ready to run away from the Fighting Irish, jumping out to an 18-6 lead only to see Skylar Diggins bring Notre Dame back. Texas A&M trailed by two at halftime and with Adams doing most of her work from the perimeter, both she and her coaches knew something had to change.

"Coach Gary Blair said something," Adams said. "I was looking at him and I knew what he was saying 'don't take any more jump shots.' I really have to go in, go to work and put this team on my back and carry them.

"I can't stop myself, that is what I am thinking. I am in the zone and I am going to keep scoring every time I get it."

Now Adams can look ahead to Monday's WNBA draft. She certainly did not hurt her stock with the incredible second-half performance and Adams is ready for the next stage of her basketball career.

"I've always wanted to play in the (WNBA)," Adams said. "Deanna Nolan is my favorite player, Lisa Leslie, Candace Parker and now I am going to play against Candace Parker or play with her. It is like a dream for my family."

UCONN RECRUITS HONORED
UConn commits Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis and Breanna Stewart were honored on Tuesday.

Mosqueda-Lewis, a 6-foot senior wing from Mater Dei High in Santa Ana, Calif., was named the Los Angeles Times Player of the Year while her future UConn teammate Breanna Stewart, a 6-3 junior forward at Cicero-North Syracuse (N.Y.) High School, was named the New York AA Co-Player of the Year.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home