Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Friday, July 29, 2011

Catchings reacts to being one of WNBA's top 15 players

About an hour before the start of the Indiana Fever/Connecticut Sun game at Mohegan Sun Arena on Thursday, I was interviewing Sun head coach Mike Thibault for a story I am writing about recently signed Jessica Breland. The question and answer session was briefly interrupted when Indiana All-Star forward Tamika Catchings came over to give Thibault a hug.

Then he thanked Tamika before the two wished each other luck. I neglected to ask him what the thank you was for but after the game did ask Catchings about it.

Knowing her, it was probably a wonderful gesture on her part but Catching shrugged it all off.

Nothing, me and Coach Thibault we go way back. I really appreciate all the stuff he did for me (when Thibault was an assistant coach on the 2008 U.S. Olympic squad). He is a great person. We're always talking about USA. It is a great relationship and it is kind of funny to see his son and his daughter growing up."

Considering that Catchings was named to the WNBA's list of top 15 players of all time which was announced at halftime of Saturday's WNBA All-Star game, I asked her what it meant to be considering one of the league's top players.

"That is just an honor. I look back and think about all the players that came up before me, old school players looking at the WNBA ... The opportunity I have to be a player in this league and be named one of the top 15 out of all the players that have come through, I can't even explain it."

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous UConn Steve said...

Tamika Catchings is the most complete women's basketball player ever. Offense, Defense, Hustle, Heart, On the Court, Off the Court. She will not be the WNBA's all time leader in points or rebounds or assists. She might never be on a WNBA championship "team". But she is the best all-around player ever.

5:43 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home