Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Friday, August 12, 2011

Caroline Doty talks about injury

While Caroline Doty would love nothing more than to see game action on UConn's upcoming trip to Europe, she knows appearing in four exhibition games is not worth risking the upcoming season. So while Doty is able to take part in some full-court drills, she will not take part in any of the games the Huskies will play in Italy from Thursday-Aug. 24.

"It's been tough, I am not going to lie but you have to have that positive approach and attitude to everything," Doty said after Friday's practice at Gampel Pavilion. "I have learned to be patient in the last year. I am able to practice, help with lines and kind of direct things around but it does (stink) not being able to play. I haven't played in a long time but I know it is coming soon. I know it is right around the corner. I can't rush it, I have to be patient and be mature. Rosemary (Ragle, UConn's trainer) has done a great job keeping my head on straight and I have a good relationship with the coaches. They said 'listen, just take it slow. It is going to come, it is going to come.'"

Doty had to sit out the entire 2010-11 season after tearing the ACL in her left knee. All signs were pointing to Doty being able to be in full participation in time for the trip to Europe. But in late June, Doty sprained her surgically-repaired left knee.

"I was playing 3 on 3 over the summer working up to full-court (drills) and I went to back cut," Doty said. "It didn't shift, it didn't buckle but it just felt weird. I knew it (the ACL) didn't go but I knew it wasn't right but I took myself off and kind of got it checked out."

Doty could play in the upcoming games, but UConn coach Geno Auriemma has no intention of pushing it stating that the goal is to have her ready for November.

"It is just a matter of timing," Auriemma said. "We are not going to play her until she is 100 percent ready and she is not there. When will that be, two weeks, three weeks, four weeks, I just know that when the season starts she is going to be ready, she is going to be 100 percent. I have no doubt about it."


Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home