Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Doty welcomed back

As loud as the ovation was from the 6,548 at Gampel Pavilion when Caroline Doty was the fifth and final UConn starter announced before Sunday's season-opening win over Holy Cross, just imagine the decibel level had Doty's first shot of the game - which was the first shot taken in the contest - had found mark.

Still, Doty's first official game in 19 months was a heartwarming one for both her and her teammates.

"It means the world, all the hard work paid off," Doty said. "Having my team, my coaches, Rosemary (Ragle, UConn's trainer) and (UConn strength and conditioning coach) Amanda Kimball support me through this whole recovery, knowing the fans have my back it felt awesome and I am happy."

Doty hit a pair of 3-pointers 28 seconds apart midway through the first half as she finished with nine points, five rebounds and three assists.

"I thought she was great," UConn coach Geno Auriemma said. "She hasn't played in so long, it is not easy to get back into it no matter how much you practice, no matter how many days you prepare, it is not like being in a game. She did a lot of really great things, all the things I thought she would do. You can see the experience she has had pay off. I thought she stayed within herself for the most part and made the plays I expected her to make."

Doty's first moments in the game included a collision with teammate Bria Hartley as Doty attempted to corral the ball after the opening tip.

"She's been all over the floor in practice, that kind of showed up today," Auriemma said. "She was excited about being out there."

So were her teammates who reveled in the reaction she got from the fans when Doty was introduced as a starter.

"It was amazing," Hayes said. "I can't even explain it. I was waiting for it because she deserves it so much, just for her to be out there was a big (thrill) and I am glad she got to play in another game."

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Joe Pa-thetic (from PSU) said...

Welcome back Caroline Doty.
Stay safe.
You are the key to UConn this season.

Not Tiffany Hayes.
Not Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis.
Not Stefanie Dolson.
Not Bria Hartley.
Not Kelly Faris.

UConn will only go as far as Caroline Doty takes them.

10:00 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home