Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Another record streak for the Huskies

Just when UConn coach Geno Auriemma thought he had run out of streaks to talk about, he was asked about the Huskies' NCAA women's basketball record home winning streak after Sunday's game against Dayton.

UConn set the NCAA Division I record of 69 consecutive home games last year but the NCAA women's basketball record for all divisions was 88 set by Division III Rust  from Jan. 23, 1982-Feb. 21, 1989. UConn's 78-38 win was No. 89 in a row for the Huskies.

"I don't keep track of that stuff. People were talking the other day. I guess Maya Moore didn't lose a home game, her and Lorin (Dixon) in the four years they were here," Auriemma said. "That is pretty incredible to go home after every game and it is a 'W.' I don't think that happens at very many places. I love the consistency of our program, I love how we approach things every year. We kind of give you the same thing day in and day out for the most part. We are hard to play against I would hope, home or away.

"It is a long time, for sure, to not lose a game. After a while you don't even think about it. Obviously we had the best teams in the country for the past five years when you think about who we've had, whose graduated so in that respect home and away, we win a lot of games at home and a lot of games on the road. I am sure that streak will end soon, like everything else does."

Many of those wins were similar to the this weekend's games when UConn defeated Fairleigh Dickinson, Buffalo and Dayton by an average of 47.3 points but there have also been wins against national powers like Stanford, Baylor and Notre Dame.

If Auriemma had his way there would be more of those types of game earlier in the season. He loves the fact the UConn faced Stanford on Monday, Notre Dame and Duke battled down to the wire on Saturday and today Baylor squared off with Tennessee.

"I'd like to do more of that. I think the whole month of November and early December, there should be a tremendous amount of non-conference games against really good opponents because I do think it creates excitement for the rest of the season, Auriemma said. "Unfortunately TV wants some in January, some in February and they want to spread them around. I think all those November, early December game, I know I would rather play more of them. You're trying to balance how many home games you have to play, how many top 25, top 30 teams you have to play. It is not an easy juggling act but I know I would like to do more of it and look into that for the next two or three years and see how many we could put together. You can't always get people to agree. You'd be surprised how many teams who don't want to do it, There are five, six, seven, eight schools who want to do it but we already play them but then there are a bunch of schools who don't want to do it. Carol Stiff (of ESPN) has a hard time putting games together because some schools say 'I don't want to do it' which I find hard to believe."

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home