Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Catching up with Moriah Jefferson

Just consider this weekend a 2 for the price of 1 special.

My trip to Texas for tomorrow's clash between No. 1 Baylor and No. 2 UConn, but I was able to catch UConn commit Moriah Jefferson in action with the THESA Riders on Saturday afternoon.

Jefferson's statistics (11 points, nine rebounds, three assists and three steals in 18 minutes) in the 71-41 win over host Roosevelt High of Dallas won't blow you away but realizing that the game was under control early on, Jefferson took only one shot in the second half  (she didn't play at all in the fourth quarter). If you take the stats of Jefferson from her USA Basketball bio and combine them with the ones I just received a few minutes ago from Riders coach Alan Burt, Jefferson scored the 3,000th point of her career in the gane, These stats include those from when she was in eighth grade, On the season she is averaging 17.8 points, 4 rebounds, 3.5 assists and 6 steals while shooting 49.7 percent from the floor including 48.7 from 3-point range. She had 10 20-point games in 26 official games ( a couple of exihibitions don't count towards her stats) and three times had more than 10 steals in a game.

A few observations. Watching her in pre-game drills, she has a sweet shot and is also extremely athletic. The best play I saw in the game was when she caught, shot and scored all in one motion for a fast-break layup. She has a nice handle and made a sweet no-look pass for one of her assists.


Look for a story on Moriah in tomorrow's edition of the Register. A few things of note. First, she said she already has a sister-like bond with fellow UConn incoming freshmen Breanna Stewart and Morgan Tuck and said she is planning to enroll in summer session at UConn around June 20 as are Stewart and Tuck.

Her main objective right now is leading the THESA Riders to a sixth National Christian Home School title which is why she was so willing to pass up open shots during Saturday's games.

She is rather thrilled that Southern Methodist and Houston are joining the Big East since it will give her some home games in her native Texas.

Finally, I was a bit surprised to hear that she is only "hoping" to be in attendance at tomorrow's Baylor game. I would have figured she had gotten tickets a long time ago but not so.

"I might be, I think I might. Somebody might take me after I leave here. I hope to."

Don't take that as a sign that she isn't thrilled at soon joining the UConn program.

"I can't wait, it should be fun. We have a good group of girls coming in and hopefully we'll do big things. It was fun."

She hung out with Stewart at the Dec. 6 game against Texas A&M and she said she had the time of her life.

"It was like a sense of what it is going to be like when I get there. It wasn't as cold so I didn't get to see that but it was fun and I had a good time. I met everybody and bonded with the team and the coaches. I already knew that was what I wanted or I wouldn't be going there. I love that place."

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home