Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Former NFA star holds no grudges against UConn

There are a lot of things motivating former Norwich Free Academy star Kastine Evans tonight but trying to prove something to a Connecticut program which wasn't heavily involved in her recruitment late in the process is not among them.
“They recruited me early when I was at NFA but I knew I wanted to go further away,” Evans said. “I assumed that Geno would have put more into it but it was just how the cards laid out at Kentucky. I never had that kind of relationship with Geno where I would have that type of attitude towards him. He is a great coach; he has carried that team and that program further than a lot of teams have. I am going out and taking my team Kentucky and trying to get to the Final Four.”
Evans has been hitting up her teammates for tickets ever since the brackets came out and she saw that Kentucky would be sent to nearby Kingston, R.I. if the Wildcats won their first two NCAA tournament games. About 70 of her friends and family were in the stands on Sunday when Kentucky beat Gonzaga. More are expected tonight. 
“I was very excited,” Evans said of Kentucky landing in the Kingston region. “The first projections had us in Des Moines and I said 'I don't want to go to Iowa.' When they showed us in the Kingston region I was really excited also knowing that you're in a place that one of your teammates is from you are going to get more fans than you would when you were in Iowa. If we were in Iowa we wouldn't have had as many fans as we did (Sunday).”
UCONN RECRUITS LEAD TEAMS TO LOFTY HEIGHTS
The final Powerade Fab 50 national high school poll was released on Tuesday. Bolingbrook (Ill.), led by UConn signee Morgan Tuck, finished fourth while UConn commit Breanna Stewart's Cicero-North Syracuse (N.Y.) team moved up two spots and finished 10th.

St. Mary's out of Phoenix earn the final No. 1 ranking. Sophomore guard Courtney Ekmark, who took in the regular-season finale between UConn and Notre Dame, is a star of the team which finished 30-0.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home