Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Tiffany Hayes talks about upcoming WNBA draft

Former UConn guard Tiffany Hayes joined likely No. 1 overall pick Nneka Ogwumike as well as Devereaux Peters and Samantha Prahalis on a conference call previewing Monday's WNBA draft.

Perhaps the most interesting comments made my Hayes is that she considered herself an "under the radar player" growing up so that dreaming about playing in the WNBA was not something in her consciousness as she honed her basketball skills.

"When I was younger I wasn't really thinking about it," Hayes said. "I kind of knew about it but it really wasn't in my mind to go. I started late playing and I was kind of an 'under the radar' player my whole life so it didn't really cross my mind that I would be here. When I was younger I didn't even think I'd be on a full scholarship to go to college to be honest so the WNBA was generally not in my mind. Now that I am here, it feels great."

The feeling is that Hayes will go in the second half of the first rounds. A couple of coaches on the call felt like Hayes complimentary role during her UConn career is more of a benefit than a detriment.

The WNBA draft begins at 2 p.m. on Monday and Hayes is one of 15 prospects expected to be on hand at ESPN campus in Bristol for the draft.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home