Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Leedham planning to give WNBA a shot in 2013

Former Cheshire Academy star and current Great Britain captain Johannah Leedham said she is planning to come over for the Connecticut Sun's 2013 training camp.

I spoke with Leedham, who scored 21 points in an 88-63 loss to the United States, a couple of hours ago for a story which could run in the Register as early as tomorrow. A third-round pick of the Sun in 2010, I asked Leedham her intentions for the next WNBA season.

"Absolutely I am going to come over next year," Leedham said. "It is just bad timing really with the Olympics and stuff like that, having qualifiers it has been a busy time and a fun time for basketball in Britain. I've had to
commit myself to that so I haven't had time to go to the WNBA yet. Next year is my time to go and give the
WNBA a shot. I am going to put all of my time into that."

Having gone to prep school and college in New England should be a bonus when she arrives back in Connecticut for training camp.

"I went to prep school in Connecticut and New Hampshire is not that far so I feel like I have a really good
support system in New England which is great," Leedham said. "I have a lot of positive vibes there and it would be lovely."

The 5-foot-11 Leedham could provide a combination of size and a 3-point threat that the Sun has not had at the small forward position in a couple of years. With the possibility of Leedham and Spain's Alba Torrens, a former FIBA Europe Young Woman of the Year winner, the Sun could be adding a couple of intriguing prospects to a nucleus which entered the Olympic break leading the Eastern Conference with a 15-4 record.

If Leedham makes the Sun in 2013, she would join Tina Charles, Kelsey Griffin, Danielle McCray, Kalana Greene and Allison Hightower and become the sixth players taken in the 2010 draft to play for Connecticut.

After Wednesday's game, former UConn star Maya Moore was asked how Leedham would fare in the WNBA.

"She’s tough," Moore said. "She plays with a lot of confidence and she plays hard the whole game. When she had open threes, she knocked them down. She didn’t miss many of her open threes. She seems like someone who knows how to play: pass, cut, screen, make reads, just play basketball. So, anytime you know how to play the game and you have some talent, as far as being a shooter, you have a shot anywhere. She was really big for them. You could tell that she was their leader, as far as a go-to player to score. I have a lot of respect for how she played today."

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home