Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Geno honored by USA Basketball

Geno Auriemma, the head coach of the gold medal winning U.S. Olympic women's basketball team, and Mike Krzyzewski, who coached the U.S. men's team to the Olympic team, were named winners of the USA Basketball National Coach of the Year Award.

“The opportunity to coach the Olympic Team is an amazing opportunity that you are very fortunate to have and all you want to do is a great job while putting the players in a position to be successful,” said Auriemma in a statement, “I thought our entire coaching staff, Doug Bruno, Marynell Meadors, Jen Gillom and everyone associated with our team from Carol Callan on down, were outstanding. We got all the resources and support that we needed, and I think I owe a debt of gratitude to all of them, along with Jim Tooley and Jerry Colangelo for what they do.


“So, I don’t know that it was me as much as the support group we had around us and the great group of athletes I had the opportunity to coach. They were just unbelievably committed to winning, and I don’t know if I’ll ever be around a group like that ever again.”

This is the second USA Basketball National Coach of the Year award for Auriemma, who also shared the honor with Krzyzewski in 2010.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home