Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Sunday, January 20, 2013

UConn to be tested by Duke's dynamic duo



There paths crossed at various AAU tournaments or through USA Basketball circles over the years but it wasn't until Elizabeth Williams followed Chelsea Gray to Duke that the duo really began to click.

Gray, quite possibly the best pure passer in the college game, beat Williams to Durham, N.C. first arriving in 2010. The next year Williams, a highly-touted post, burst onto the scene. It didn't take long for Williams to be on the receiving end of a host of nifty set ups from Gray.

"Since the beginning I have always admired how she was able to pass the ball," Williams said. "As a post player you love that your guard is willing to pass the ball. It is just my job to finish. She makes me look good and I make her look good so it works out."

The first documented time that Williams scored off a Gray assist came midway through the first half of an exhibition win over Pfeiffer on Nov. 3, 2011. Now with a season and a half together they form a dynamic combination.

"She has excellent hands so it makes me look good when she puts it in the basket," Gray said. "Sometimes the help side tries to come over and I have an easy dump down."

Obviously dealing with an active post player like Williams and a heady floor leader like Gray figures to be at the top of UConn's scouting report heading into tomorrow's game.

"I think it is one of those things that you have a really good guard and you have really good big guy, you have a really decent wing player that you have a chance to have a great team," UConn coach Geno Auriemma said. "Elizabeth Williams is great, she is really good inside, Chelsea Gray is a really, really good guard and Tricia Liston has become somebody that they can count on. Maybe between her and (Haley) Peters, the two of them have given them a pretty good wing players. Just that alone makes them really good plus I am sure what has happened the last couple of years we have played them I am sure it is on their mind a little bit. I think the last time they came to Gampel wasn't really a fun trip for them, I am sure they are coming to make sure it has not been like that at all. I know Monday night is going to be very difficult for us."


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home