Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Monday, February 18, 2013

Dolson hopes she has learned her lesson

On the list of Stefanie Dolson's "must-see episodes" in the last couple of days was not one of the current hit television shows or one of the most popular movies in the theater.

The viewing period was quite the painful one for UConn's starting center. She watched last year's loss at Baylor and could only cringe as she watched herself pick up a pair of fouls just 4:54 into the game. She remained in the game for an additional 70 seconds and even hit a basket during that time before taking a seat for the rest of the first half. Coming off a forgettable performance against Baylor as a freshman when she committed her first foul 38 seconds into the game and played a mere 12 minutes before fouling out, Dolson was determined to have more staying power in the rematch. Officially, she reached her goal, but in reality she was left with lingering feelings of what could have been.

Dolson engaged in a rigorous offseason conditioning program so she could be in the shape to have a bigger impact in games like the ones against the Lady Bears and their All-American Brittney Griner. She also worked on her mental game. Tired of committing fouls 90 feet away from the basket or being called for fouls setting screens, Dolson wanted to be a more mature, disciplined player now that she is an underclassmen.

In a few hours comes the greatest challenge she will have faced this season.

"I watched a couple clips of us versus Baylor last year and it was like 'why, why did you do it,'" Dolson said. "It is definitely just immaturity and I don't think being ready to play. I've made changes, I am going to make a few changes of how I prepare. My mentality, going in and being more confident on what kind of player I am, how my team is compared to the last two years and know that I have grown a lot and I am just ready for the challenge.

"It's a fun challenge. I am excited to go out there kind of prove myself to others than I am one of the best centers in the country. I am ready and I am excited."

UCONN AUCTIONING ITEMS FOR KAY YOW CANCER FUND
The University of Connecticut is taking part in an online auction and all proceeds will benefit the Kay Yow Cancer Fund.  The auction is live now through February 25.


Below is a list of what is available for auction.

Geno Auriemma Autographed Tie worn vs. Baylor
Geno Auriemma Autographed Tie worn vs. Rutgers
#5 Game Worn Jersey vs. Baylor
#14 Game Worn Jersey vs. Baylor
#23 Game Worn Jersey vs. Baylor
#31 Game Worn Jersey vs. Baylor
#34 Game Worn Jersey vs. Baylor
Courtside VIP Experience vs. Pittsburgh
Team Autographed Poster
Team Autographed Poster



Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home