Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Monday, February 25, 2013

Leedham signs with Sun


Former Cheshire Academy star Johannah Leedham signed with the Connecticut Sun on Monday.

Leedham was selected in the third round of the 2010 WNBA draft by Connecticut after a record-breaking career at Division II Franklin Pierce. She led Great Britain with a 16.2 scoring average during the 2012 Olympics and will compete for a position at small forward or perhaps even shooting guard.

In an interview with the Register before the Olympics Leedham made it clear that she planned to come over for the 2013 WNBA season.

"Absolutely I am going to come over,” Leedham said. β€œIt is just bad timing really with the Olympics and stuff like that. It has been a busy time and a fun time for basketball in Britain. I've had to commit myself to that so I haven't had time to go to the WNBA yet. Next year is my time to go and give the WNBA a shot. I am going to put all of my time into that.

β€œI went to prep school in Connecticut and New Hampshire is not that far so I feel like I have a really good support system in New England which is great. I have a lot of positive vibes there and it would be lovely.”

UConn's Geno Auriemma coached against Leedham during the Olympics and following Monday's practice, he had some great things to say about Leedham's game.


"I liked her," Auriemma said. "The team from Great Britain came in last in our pool I believe but I'll be you that every game that they played except on with five minutes to go in the game, the game is undecided that is how good they arre but they just couldn't get over the hump. She had a lot to do with that. I liked her, she is the kind of kid I would like to coach."


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home