Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Thursday, October 31, 2013

UConn lends its voice in Br{ache the Silence campaign

When Stefanie Dolson was asked if she and her teammates would be interested in cutting a video as part of the Br{ache the Silence campaign to combat homophobia, the UConn senior center was quick to not only agree to take part in the project but also got teammates Bria Hartley, Brianna Banks and Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis to take part in the video used as part of BTS Tour of Champions campaign.

"I think it was really important," Dolson said after Thursday's practice. "I have a lot of gay and lesbian friends and to be able to put our face on that and show that there are a lot of stigmas and stereotypes women's basketball players have 'oh, they play and they are gay or they are lesbian.' For us to say that it doesn't matter what your sexual orientation is and to kind of get that word out, it meant a lot to me because I feel very strongly about that and I think it is wrong when people have those opinions and stereotypes about people so I am really happy we go that chance to do it. They contacted Pat (McKenna, UConn's women's basketball sports information director) he told me and I picked a few people do it."

Since the video has been posted, there has been plenty of support for the Huskies' involvement in the project via social media. Dolson has also received some positive feedback after the video was posted.

"Here and there," Dolson said, "I think it is a topic that people don't really contact others about it but it has been a lot of positive feedback and no negative feedback which is good."



Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home