Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Thursday, February 27, 2014

UConn's Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis "I'm playing" against Rutgers

While UConn coach Geno Auriemma said he wanted to see how junior All-American Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis looks at tomorrow's practice and Saturday's shootaround before proclaiming Mosqueda-Lewis good to go for the first time since Feb. 9, Mosqueda-Lewis had no such question marks as she confidently stated "I'm playing."

Mosqueda-Lewis returned to practice today after missing the last four games with mononucleosis and she was worked into practice with the other players and looked pretty good for somebody who has been out for 2 1/2 weeks.

"I felt like I was little bit rusty but I got some of the kinks out and I did better towards the end of the practice," Mosqueda-Lewis.

"I missed it a lot playing with them but I didn't realize how much I missed it. I feel fine and I don't feel tired, more tired than I am supposed to."

Mosqueda-Lewis admitted sitting alone in her apartment watching UConn play against Houston and SMU was not the easiest thing she has ever done and she found herself yelling at the screen more times than she cares to admit.

Based on what Geno Auriemma said about Mosqueda-Lewis' test results after Saturday's game at Houston, I was not stunned that she was cleared to return to practice. However, I was not expecting her to play at the level she showed today. The casual observer would never have known she missed the last four games with the way she was draining 3-pointers and making other players.

"I missed playing with them a lot but I didn't realize how much I missed it," Mosqueda-Lewis said. "I feel fine and I don't feel tired, more tired than I am supposed to."

Her teammates are obviously thrilled to see her back on the court and not stunned to see her already hitting consistently from the perimeter.

"She is one of the key players on our team, does a lot for us and just to see her getting involved and back on the court is great," UConn sophomore forward Breanna Stewart said. "I am looking forward to playing with her on Saturday. As a player once you see a few shots go in , it is muscle memory thing and it just comes back from that."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home