Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Friday, May 23, 2014

UConn recruiting target another Georgia peach

Most of Asia Durr's basketball memories involve the molding of her own game - with one significant exception.

Before Maya Moore went onto become UConn's all-time leading scorer, she was a dynamic national high school player of the year at Collins Hill High in Suwanee, Georgia. Among those who saw Moore lighting it up was a wide-eyed Durr.

"Maya Moore, I went to see her play I think when she was a senior against Kelley Cain's team and she went off," Durr said after the second of three sessions at the U-17 trials on Friday. "She is such a great player and a great person. I would say her working on both sides of the floor, offensive, defense, she is hustling out there for every loose ball, knocking down shots, passing her teammates the ball. She is a great person, she is not arrogant or cocky."

Those words could be used to describe Durr as well.

"I just try to compete against the best, go out and play my game and do what I have been taught and most importantly just have some fun," Durr said.

While UConn commit Katie Lou Samuelson is the No. 1 ranked player in the Class of 2015 by ESPN HoopGurlz and All-Star Girls Report, there are those who think Durr could be the best player in the class.

However, don't look for a commitment from Durr any day soon. She is currently considering 13 schools and UConn is very much in the mix.

"I am not there yet, the process is taking a while but it is such a hard choice because you have so many great programs out there and it is so hard," Durr said about the recruiting process. "I will probably wait until the fall to do all of that."

Durr had a chance to take her official visit to UConn at the same time as De'Janae Boykin, Napheesa Collier and Katie Lou Samuelson did but she had an AAU tournament to play.

"I know, I should have gone but my schedule is so hard but I think I am going to schedule it (a visit to UConn) soon," Durr said.

Durr began her athletic endeavors running track and playing basketball. She was told she first dribbled a basketball in the family driveway when she was 3.

"My mom always tells me I was in the driveway just bouncing the ball, behind my back, crossover moves," Durr said. "I used to go against my older brother all the time, I have bruises on my arm, I was bleeding, he made me tough."





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home