Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Saturday, November 29, 2014

UConn's Williams adjusting to life in the post

Those fans wandering into Germain Arena to check out the nine-time national champion UConn women's basketball team play for the first time might assume that freshman Gabby Williams has been years working on posting up in the lane.

However, the reality is that before arriving in Storrs Williams played primarily on the perimeter and was rarely asked to work in the low post. Obviously she is a quick learner because there may not be a player on the nation's No. 3 ranked team who asks for the ball more emphatically in the blocks than Williams.

"I am starting to feel a lot more comfortable," said Williams, who had seven points and six rebounds in 17 minutes in Friday's 85-24 win over the College of Charleston. "There is a lot of stuff that I am still learning but I am trying to find my rhythm. I want to make sure I am not just taking up minutes when I am out there, I want to be productive and make something happen. I think getting more comfortable but getting more out of my comfort zone, making sure I do something that will help. I want to make sure I am proving myself for these three games.

"I never really had to post up and if I did, it wasn't very hard. I had to really focus on getting low, pushing up with my legs. I am excited about it. I think it will add versatility to my game, it is excited to be developed down there."

One of Williams' highlights came when she was on the receiving end of a feed from fellow freshman Kia Nurse on a 2 on 1 break.

"It is fun," Williams said. "I can't ask for a better teammate, a better person to have the next four years with. She is already so experienced so I am learning from her."

Williams' older teammates have been impressed with how well she has adapted to her new role.

"I think she is really picking up, she is willing to learn and she wants to learn," UConn sophomore forward Morgan Tuck said. "She wants to do whatever she can for the team and Coach wants her to be in the post so I think she has done a great job of working hard."

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Of the Newbies Nurse, Gabby, Ekmark and Edwards in that order are my favorites.
Gabby can/will be a big factor if she evolves in the post as it would appear. Edwards from the little I've seen is a bit shy of throwing it up, drives well, defends well. The same can be said of Ekmark. If Ekmark lives up to the pre recruited hype Uconn shall be pleased to have her.
Forgive me Geno--Jefferson, Stokes, and Chong don't seem to have evolved and need Stewie to be operating at 200 percent or more for them to feel comfort.

7:07 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home