Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Saturday, December 27, 2014

UConn's Auriemma at the head of the class

Much like when he closed in on coaching his 1,000th career game, UConn's Geno Auriemma was blissfully unaware of the major milestone he attained on Saturday afternoon until he was recently informed that a win over SMU would move him by former Louisiana Tech coach Leon Barmore and into the No. 1 spot on NCAA Division I women's basketball career winning percentage.

"These are the kinds of things that unless somebody brings to my attention, I don't even know they exist," Auriemma said .

"I had somebody (from ESPN) ask me what it is like to be compared to (former UCLA head coach) John Wooden because we had the most wins, the most national championships in women's basketball and they had the most anywhere and what qualities that we share. It made me laugh when I finished reading (former New Haven Register reporter) Seth Davis' book (on John Wooden) that he was so gracious to send me. The more I read about it, how he lived his life and how I lived mine, the only thing we have in common - he and in - if that we both coached the most iconic college basketball players to ever play. Anything is possible but if we lose Monday night (to Duke) I am right back to No. 2 and I am king for a day."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home