Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Thursday, January 22, 2015

Connecticut Sun's Ogwumike undergoes knee surgery

Connecticut Sun forward and reigning WNBA Rookie of the Year Chiney Ogwumike underwent microfracture knee surgery today. She is expected to have a full recovery after an extended rehabilitation period of approximately six months according to a release put out by the Sun today.

"This is new territory for my family and I, but I am not one to shy away from challenges," Ogwumike said in a statement. "I have met every life challenge with an optimistic point of view, therefore this is an obstacle I know I will overcome. I have the best support system, both personally and professionally, so I know I will emerge from this experience a more confident and determined
player."

Ogwumike led the Sun in scoring (15.5 points per game) and rebounding (8.5) after being taken with the first overall pick in the 2014 WNBA Draft. The Sun already figured to take a post player with either the third or fourth pick in the upcoming draft and the probability of that happening figures to have increased with Ogwumike being sidelined.

The Sun vowed to place more of a premium of making sure Ogwumike, the cornerstone of the new-look squad, is 100 percent healthy rather than rush her back onto the court.

"At the moment, Chiney’s health is our only concern," Sun coach Anne Donovan said. "I know the decision to have this procedure was not an easy one, but it needed to be done. We know with complete certainty that Chiney will work hard to get back into top form."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home