Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Saturday, August 08, 2015

Summer to remember set to continue for UConn's Kia Nurse

Just a piece of advise, if you run into UConn guard Kia Nurse and ask "what did you do this summer" you might want to make sure you have some extra time built into your schedule.

Nurse knew that with Canada hosting both the Pan Am Games and Olympic qualifying tournament that the summer months had the potential to be unforgettable but even she couldn't believe everything that has been transpiring.

Nurse's 33 points in the Pan Am Games gold medal game not only lifted Canada to a win over the U.S. but it made her something of a national sports hero. She was trending on Twitter, her phone was blowing up with congratulatory calls and text messages and she was chosen to carry the Canadian flag at the closing ceremonies of the Pan Am Games.

With the FIBA Americas tournament starting tomorrow the folks at Canada Basketball were nice enough to set up phone interviews with Nurse and Canada head coach Lisa Thomaidis this week for a story that will either run in the New Haven Register on Sunday or Monday.

I won't give away all the stuff that Kia had to say so there's a reason to read the story but here are some of the highlights.

ON ALL THE THINGS SHE IS ACCOMPLISHING AT SUCH A YOUNG AGE
It hits me sometimes but it is more of a 'woah, this is really happening and I still have so many years to go.' It is incredible and I am really excited to see what the future holds.

CARRYING THE FLAG AT CLOSING CEREMONIES
That was such an incredible experience. I was so honored to be able to do that and to come out to the roar of the crowd from however many thousands of people that it was, that was just surreal and it was so cool.

ON BREANNA STEWART SAYING "YOU HAD TO PICK THAT GAME TO BLOW UP LIKE THAT"
That was funny. I started laughing and said 'obviously Stewie I have no idea what happened.'

REACTION TO COLLISION WHICH KNOCKED UCONN TEAMMATE MORIAH JEFFERSON OUT OF GAME WITH CONCUSSION
It was totally by accident. As soon as I saw a loose ball, I dove for it and I saw somebody else coming. I couldn't really see who it was. I had a feeling it would be Mo because she is just one of those people who would dive on the floor to get the ball or do anything to win. Unfortunately my big head gave her the (worst) end of it but she is a tremendous competitor and I had no surprise it was her down there with me.

HOW THAT PERFORMANCE WILL HELP HER WHEN SHE RETURNS TO UCONN
I think it will help me a lot. I am getting tons of experience each and every day I get to learn something new from our veterans. I am definitely learning a lot about myself and my game so I hope it will take me a long way when I get back.


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home