Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Friday, February 12, 2016

Tuck in no hurry to make her decision whether to return to UConn next season

I was not the only person who sat in on Geno Auriemma's press conference after the win over South Carolina and notice how he referred to Morgan Tuck as joining Moriah Jefferson and Breanna Stewart out the door at the end of the season.

I usually don't inundate the UConn seniors about WNBA questions but felt it was important to raise this subject so I did so after today's practice.

Tuck said no decision has been made either way and she doesn't believe she will announce her intentions by the Feb. 27 home game against Tulane that will serve as the Senior Day game.

"We are on the same page about it right now," Tuck said. "It is not a set decision yet. He has given me his (advice), he has talked to me quite a bit so right now he told me that we will deal with it when we have to, at the end of the season we will say what the decision. It will probably be closer to the end of the season."

Here's what Auriemma had to say about his advice to Tuck.

"My conversations with Morgan haven't changed one iota, the same (discussions) we've had since the beginning of the season are what we have now," Auriemma said. "My advice to Morgan in November, maybe December was why worry about it, why have this on your mind the whole season. You don't have to make that decision today, the decision has to be made in April so why don't you wait and see how the season turns out. There hasn't been any time when Morgan walked into my office and said 'Coach, this is what I am definitely doing.'"

Auriemma said there are people who leave with remaining eligibility because they don't enjoy school but he said that is not the case with Tuck.

"Morgan, she loves school, she loves this environment, she loves all of this but she also has dreams of playing in the WNBA," Auriemma said. "The decision she is going to have to make is 'what is my body telling me, what is my future?' It is not an easy decision. It is not as easy as 'Stewie and Moriah are leaving, you should too' or 'hey, what more can you accomplish in college?' I don't think it is that simple.

"It is not going to be one of things where she flips a coin and says 'heads, I leave; tails, I stay.' This is going to be pretty well thought out, taking everything into consideration. If you feel strongly one way or the other, that is good. The worst thing to say is I don't know what I want to do."

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maya was unable to win a NC her senior season. Lack of a scoring PG (Dixon), lack of a scoring defender (Faris), injured Doty, freshmen Hartley and Dolson.

Stewart and Jefferson are the best of the best. No single player could replace either one of them.

With the loss of Stewart and Jefferson, next season UConn talent level will be similar to the Charde Houston days. Morgan's considerations *might* include if she wants to lose a handful of games next season. And/or if she wants to the leader of next season's team. which right now would not have one.

8:07 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home