Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Saturday, November 26, 2016

Charli Collier commits to UConn

When Charli Collier took in the sights and sounds during her unofficial visit to UConn last month, she was ready to end her recruiting process.

The highly-touted 6-foot-4 junior out of Barbers Hill High School about 30 miles outside of Houston decided to go home and make sure it was the right move for her.

"I kind of wasn't planning on (committing this early)," Collier said. "I woke up one morning, this morning, and said today is the day. He (UConn coach Geno Auriemma) was excited, the whole coaching staff was excited.

"During my unofficial I committed while I was there. I just wanted to make sure with my family that is what I wanted to do."

So what was the best part of her trip to UConn?

"The team had so much chemistry together and how everybody got along, when I went on my unofficial I just felt that family feeling and knew this was where I want to be," Collier said.

Collier was also impressed by how well the UConn coaching staff develops top post players.

"I am really excited to get down there," Collier said. "I watched Stefanie Dolson, Morgan Tuck. I watched them (Tuck and Breanna Stewart) last year, I see how they develop. It is amazing to see how good they were freshman year and how amazing they were senior year. That progress through the years is amazing, they weren't content at all and improved each year."

Collier is also well aware of the tradition of the UConn women's basketball program highlighted by a record 11 national titles.

"Committing, of course they have 11 national championships," Collier said. "When I get there, I'd like to help them get four more. Committing is a big relief for me, now I can focus on my junior season and my senior season without any worries about what college I am going to. Now I know, I can keep working hard from here and start the next chapter of my life at Connecticut."

Collier already heard from the most recent UConn commit - Monacan (Va.) High senior forward Megan Walker this morning after making her announcement.

"We are excited about playing with each other," Collier said. "It is a great group of girls. I have played with them and against them and I am most excited that we will play together."

Collier averaged 24.6 points, 9.8 rebounds, 1.5 assists. 1.7 steals and 2.3 blocked shots per game as a sophomore. She saved some of her best work in the state playoffs when she averaged 30 points and 14 rebounds per game. She recently had a 41-point game for Barbers Hill.

Collier played on the U.S. team which won the bronze medal at the FIBA U17 World Championships in late June and early July along with fellow UConn Class of 2018 recruiting target Christyn Williams. Collier averaged 5.7 points and 3.6 rebounds in 7.7 minutes per game.

Collier, the first commitment for UConn from the Class of 2018, would be arriving when Napheesa Collier (no relation), Katie Lou Samuelson and Duke transfer Azura' Stevens would be seniors.
With Collier joining the 6-foot-6 Stevens, 6-foot-2 Walker and Batouly Camara, a lack of size will not be an issue when she suits up at UConn.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home