Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Thursday, March 29, 2018

Samuelson, WIlliams earn WBCA honors once again

Quite the eventful day at Nationwide Arena beginning at about 8:30 a.m. with the always helpful meet and greet with the ESPN announce team.

Some of those interviews were used in my advance on the positionless basketball style that has helped UConn and Notre Dame thrived and more will be coming tomorrow about the elite group of juniors at this year's Final Four.

The day/night ended with Katie Lou Samuelson and Gabby Williams earning WBCA All-American honors. I can't recall a time when we weren't able to interview the UConn players even for a minute or two after the All-American presentation but it didn't happen today. Thankfully, we were able to get Geno Auriemma for a few minutes after the ceremony so we could attempt to give the story the play it deserves.

There was a portion of the blog that in anger I posted and regretted it regarding a person I deal with on a regular basis at UConn, that was completely wrong on my part and I apologize for not handling it in a more appropriate and professional manner.

On a lighter note, it was great to catch up with two of my favorite women's basketball people to interview - former Georgia coach Andy Landers, who now works for ESPN and Notre Dame associate head coach Carol Owens.

I was able to get some pretty good reactions from UConn players as well one Little Rock, Arkansas native about the buzz created by UConn signees Olivia Nelson-Ododa and Christyn Williams.

Many of the quotes are in one of the links above but since I wrote way too long on my notebook, I wasn't able to get some pretty good stuff from Azura' Stevens about Nelson-Ododa's performance at the dunk contest.

"It is amazing. Anytime a female is able to dunk, I think it is pretty cool because a lot of people don't think it can happen but especially to see her on the stage  at McDonald's it was really cool to see that and we are just excited to see her come here.

"I've never dunked before. I've tried it a couple of times but my hops aren't (good enough). It was really cool just to see we are getting that added (talent) next year and that is a good sign coming from a freshman (to be) to have that confidence on a big stage like that because that is what they are coming into here."





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home