Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Louisville: the morning after

With my curiosity getting the better of me, I replayed the tape of last night's game to see who was guarding Angel McCoughtry when she had her 24 points. Here is my unofficial tally

When Kalana Greene was guarding her, McCoughtry had eight points (3 of 5 from the floor although all three shots were of the high degree of difficulty variety because of Greene's defense and was 2 for 2 from the line)

When Tiffany Hayes was on her McCoughtry was 3 for 10 (with the last field goal coming when Hayes appeared to draw a charge) from the field and 4 of 5 from the line for 10 points.

McCoughtry was 2 for 2 from the field and 2 for 2 from the line in transition. She missed one shot when Maya Moore was on her and had a desperation heave at the end of the first half. It's a sign of how good McCoughtry is that UConn can actually feel good about "holding" her to 24 points.

A couple things from the broadcast. First if anybody was engaging in a drinking game every time either Pam Ward or Carolyn Peck said this was the first year Deseree Byrd played point guard, hopefully you were able to make it to work this morning even with the mother of all hangovers.

The second comment took me by complete surprise when Peck said the No. 1 pick in April's WNBA draft could come down to McCoughtry or Renee Montgomery of UConn. I've heard - hey I've even written - that Montgomery could go as high as No. 2 to Washington or more likely go third overall to Chicago. But this is the first time I've heard anybody speculate that Montgomery could be the first pick. Here's my take on it, I don't care that Chamique Holdsclaw is joining the Atlanta Dream, I would still take Angel McCoughtry first overall. If Atlanta wants to add a guard like Montgomery, hopefully they will have the common sense of trading down. I'm sure Washington would love to have a Baltimore native like McCoughtry to build the franchise around. Could you imagine the steal total McCoughtry and Alana Beard would compile over the next few years?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home