Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Saturday, March 21, 2009

Day one in the books

The media contigent at this house consists of myself and Rich Elliott of the Connecticut Post but not to worry, we both should be exiting Gampel Pavilion shortly.

Most ironic moment of the first day was the Renee Montgomery, the first active player to have her number displayed as part of the "Huskies of Honor" program does not have the pull to watch her former position coach Tonya Cardoza in action.

Montgomery hung around Gampel well after her teammates had left so she could meet up wth Cardoza, who spent 14 years as a UConn assistant before taking the head job at Temple. Montgomery was informed by two members of the typically over the top yellow-coated security detail that she was not allowed to watch the practice. Montgomery emerged from the locker room as Temple's practice ended and greeted Cardoza with a huge hug. The former pupil and student could be heard cackling in the UConn locker room as they caught up on old times.

It was also a homecoming for former UConn forward/center Brittany Hunter, who was hired by Cardoza at Temple although it didn't sound of if Hunter's coaching tenure will be a long one.

"I don't want to coach," Hunter said. "I've done it and it is cool and I see why some people would like to coach but it is not for me. It's OK. I love the girls, it is fun."

Hunter was planning to enroll in graduate school at UConn in her quest to become a sports agent when former UConn assistant Tonya Cardoza offered her a spot on her staff when Cardoza was hired as Temple's new coach.

"Everyone was shocked when she (Cardoza) asked me and everyone was really shocked when I said yes," Hunter said. "I was shocked too. Why not? An experience comes like that, you don't ever want to look back. I could have always come back from it. I can always go back to grad school, go back to doing what I wanted to do but I don't ever want to go through life with this opportunity presented itself and I didn't really take advantage of it."

Hunter admitted she was oblivious about her returning to Storrs when Temple drew Florida in the first round of the NCAA tournament at the subregional in Storrs.

"I'm slow. I am 'yes, we are in the tournament,'" Hunter said. "Maybe 20 minutes later somebody asked me 'are you excited to be going back to UConn?' I said 'why are we going to UConn?' I said every time we would go to the tournament at UConn (during her college career), we wanted to leave so bad. We wanted to go to Florida, we want to Texas. We go to Bridgeport and we would go 'why do we keep going places in Connecticut?' It takes three hours to drive in Connecticut and what are the odds that we end up back in Connecticut. No sooner than I leave, I go to Temple and the NCAA tournament and I end up back in Connecticut."

Staying on the reunion topic, another the 20-30 people in the seats when Temple came out for the practice was former Vermont and Boston College coach Cathy Inglese, a Wallingford native.

Inglese resigned as the BC head coach on Apr. 10, 2008 and has spent the season networking as she hopes to get another head coaching job.

Inglese coached at Vermont for seven seasons, leading the Catamounts to back-to-back undefeated seasons and appearances in the 1992 and 1993 NCAA tournament. She still has fond memories of her time at UVM.

"Vermont is such a special place," Inglese said. "They love women's basketball and it is nice to see to them (in the tournament). They had to beat Hartford in Hartford and beat BU (in the America East tournament). They were on the road in a bus when I called and you could just hear the excitement with her (Vermont coach Sharon Dawley) and the kids.

"I think it is great for the community. I know they are probably going to have a lot of fans. That's one of the advantages of being in the region, they get a lot of fans who can get in a bus and come down and watch them in this great atmosphere."

There will be more on Inglese's thoughts and her hopes of securing another head coaching job in Sunday's edition of the Register.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home