Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Next stop: Trenton

UConn women's basketball coach Geno Auriemma took some of the play for the ragged start to Tuesday night's second-round game by getting his team a little too fired up to play against Florida. But once the Huskies settled down, Florida never stood a chance as the Huskies won 87-59 to set up a Sunday showdown with California in Trenton, N.J.

A few thoughts from the game.

UConn's offensive rebounding in the effort in the first half was the best performance Auriemma said he has seen one of his teams have. UConn missed 22 shots and had 16 offensive rebounds. It is a ratio that absolutely boggles the mind.

Renee Montgomery took over, scoring nine straight points during a 13-0 run after Florida pulled within six points.

Tina Charles had her second straight monster game which can't be good news for any teams thinking of sidetracking UConn's national championship hopes.

Tiffany Hayes' right knee is just fine although the freshman was understandably shaken when she was injured midway through the first half.

"I guess I was just scared," Hayes said. "I just needed a little ice, that is all. I try not to think the worst. I was thinking 'oh my God, that is a lot of pain, I don't want the same thing to happen to me (as happened to fellow freshman guard Caroline Doty). I just wanted to reassure myself that I could still run on it and I was happy I could still and maneuver on it."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home