Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Monday, May 18, 2009

Early arrivals

When Asjha Jones looked around and saw the dozen or so media members, all rather eager to have a chat with the former UConn star, I'm sure at least a part of the reticent Jones must have wished she was still back in Russia playing for Russia Superleague champion UMMC Ekaterinburg.

When I approached her table, Jones reluctantly raised her head. I couldn't resist having some fun at her expense and said "don't look so happy to see me." She chuckled and said "it's not you, I just hate to talk." The ironic part of it is she is quite good at it. My first season covering UConn was Jones' sophomore season and while other reporters gravitated towards quotable sorts like Shea Ralph, Svetlana Abrosimova, Tamika Williams, Swin Cash and even Sue Bird (who would talk forever even if she rarely ever said anything). I mentioned one day that I considered Jones to be the best quote on the team and as they have done many times, they looked at me like I was nuts. I said 'forget the persona, the occasional stare down if she didn't like the question and listen to her answers.' I always found her to be the most honest, to the point member of any UConn team I covered. When it comes to basketball, she was and is incredibly insightful. I'm not sure her quiet demeanor will ever allow her to pursue a coaching career (although Carla Berube has done quite well for herself) but she would be an outstanding teacher either on the basketball court or off of it.

OK, now to the point of the entry. I went to Connecticut Sun media day fully expecting to do a story on how nearly the entire team was in camp from the first day, something that can not be said in recent years. But after spending about 10 minutes speaking with Asjha about her UMMC Ekateriburg team's recent Russia Superleague title at the expense of former Huskies Bird and Diana Taurasi, the chance to get some rest before reporting to camp, the continued quest to lead the Sun to its first title made me change my mind and write a piece on Jones. It will appear in tomorrow's Register.

Here's a snippet of what she said about playing in the memorable UMMC Ekaterinburg/Spartak Moscow Region games.

"It's amazing, you have Lauren Jackson coming off the bench over there (for Spartak)," Jones said. "Her and Sylvia Fowles were sharing a spot. At those games the fans are excited. It is crazy inside, you can't hear anything, the coaches are nervous. As a player we have been there many times but to look at a team and see a Lauren Jackson on the bench is crazy. Our teams are all-star teams, we have the best players in the world from every country."

The Sun are at the WNBA training camp maximum of 15 but since the Sandrine Gruda and Anete Jekabsone-Zogota aren't expected to report to camp until late June and early July respectively, there will be no need to make any cuts until they need to get down to 11 players for the season opener. When Gruda and Jekabsone-Zogota report after competing in the European championships, the Sun will have to let two players go. The first exhibition game is Friday at Mohegan Sun Arena, also the site of the regular-season opener against Washington.

Since I have received a request to reveal what Tiffany Hayes said about next season's potential backcourt pairing with good friend Caroline Doty, here you go:

"It is going to be different because me and Caroline can do a lot of things. I can shoot, she can shoot. I can run the (point), she can run the (point). I can drive, she can drive so it is either/or with us. It's not like it was with Renee. It is definitely going to be different. Everybody else is talking about how me and Caroline individually can't replace Renee but together we can do a great deal. We are going to work at it."

Here is Maya Moore's take on the same subject including her shoot out to classmate Lorin Dixon.

"I know Lorin is more than capable of taking a lot of point-guard load but the things the Lorin doesn't necessarily bring, Caroline or Tiffany can bring. They will complement each other really well. The thing Lorin has is her ability to push the ball. We are always going to be a running team but I imagine we will step it up even more with Lorin at the point. It will be an interesting mix but we will make it work."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home