Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Thursday, November 12, 2009

Dixon coping with injury

UConn junior point guard Lorin Dixon admitted that the first night was the hardest in dealing with her strained left hamstring.

Dixon stayed on campus all summer except when she attended Point Guard College to put herself in position to be the Huskies' starting point guard. Dixon had earned the starting spot before she strained her left hamstring in Monday's exhibition game against Vanguard University. Dixon has been ruled out for Saturday's game against Northeastern and is iffy for Tuesday's game against No. 12 Texas.

"It is something that is bothering me a lot because I worked hard all summer and I am not able to play in the first couple of games," said Dixon.

"That first night was hard for me. I have been good. I have spoken to Shea and everybody. I would rather it happen now than later in the season and my team is all behind me picking me up."

Dixon realizes that rushing back too soon from a hamstring injury only increases the possibility of her suffering another issue with the hamstring so UConn will err on the side of caution.

"They are afraid if I come back too fast, I may redo it and hurt it again which would probably keep me out for the rest of the year," Dixon said.

Tiffany Hayes will move over from the off guard position to play the point with Caroline Doty starting at the other guard spot.

In other news, UConn coach Geno Auriemma has not been monitoring the incoming letter of intent faxes so he will defer commenting on the current recruiting class until after Saturday's game against Northeastern.

The national championship banner will be unveiled before Saturday's game. Auriemma and his players consider the brief ceremony to be the last bit of reflecting on last season's achievements and will focus on the current season.

There are some promotions fans may want to know about on Saturday

The first 350 fans will receive a Nike 2009 UConn Women’s Basketball National
Championship Miniature Commemorative Basketball

All fans will receive a 2009-10 Women’s Basketball Schedule Poster

One UConn Student Season Ticket Holder will win an iPhone. The winner must register
at the North or East Entrance and must be present to win. The winner will be drawn
at the end of the game.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home