Blogs > Elm City to Eagleville

A blog on UConn women's basketball.

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Spartak back on the court

In what must be a very emotional scene, three-time defending EuroLeague Women's champion Spartak Moscow Region is playing its first game since the murder of their owner Shabtai Kalmanovitch.

The game is at halftime with Spartak leading Fenerbahce 47-41 behind 17 points from former UConn star Diana Taurasi and nine from Anete Jekabsone-Zogota of the Connecticut Sun.

Updated at 12:15 p.m.: Spartak won 88-74 as Taurasi had 29 points, seven rebounds, six assists and seven turnovers. Jekabsone-Zogota added 18 points, Sylvia Fowles had 13 points and Janel McCarville 12 points.

I'm sure most people are coming here to get Chiney Ogwumike updates. Sorry I don't have anything new to report. There is actually an item saying her signing will take place on Thursday and not today as was previously reported. Of course the same story has Stanford losing to UConn in the national championship game when the game was actually the national semifinal so I can't vouch for the accuracy of that report.

This is the reason why I make contact personally to get recruiting updates because relying on second-hand information is a dicey proposition. The problem in this case is I have no choice. I finally heard back from her AAU coach yesterday who said he didn't have any information which goes with what I have been told from day one, this process is being handled by the Ogwumike family. I have still yet to hear back from her high school to confirm that date of the signing. Once I hear something one way or the other, I will be certain to post it.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home